Motorhome Facts Forum banner
141 - 160 of 169 Posts

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,733 Posts
Please update us Alan. I found much of the book I read to be fairly skin crawling: not just because of the Nazi/fascist connection but because of the whole privileged attitude to the rest of society.

A partial list of the most prominent Right Club members. The extent to which the British aristocracy, and Royalty, beyond just the Windsors, were committed to Hitler might seem quite remarkable. Red Book: Membership list of Captain Ramsay's Right Club - Archives Hub

An interesting list of influential Hitler fans is presented. It goes well beyond those willing to be identified as members of a Fascist club.

I have been unable to find or buy a full list of Right Club Members and sympathisers anywhere. Though the partial list along with all the connected people who though not members were fully sympathetic is considerable and ought to be surprising.

A good read but rather too focused on Unity Mitford for my taste, though still revealing of a good deal I didn't know about her and her family. They were a rum lot. The Windsors naturally feature to a good extent and look worse in the light of what's said here than I previously knew.

All of this information, including information on events at the time and the complete and very deliberate and fully considered lack of official action at the time, including many last minute high level political interdictions to prevent law enforcement and the security services stepping in to detain and question many influential people made interesting, but not at all surprising reading.

It is scandalous, but not surprising. Given the lack of information I'd say that every effort is still being made to hide it. Many files thought to be pertinent are still classified and have regularly had their period of classification extended. That's The Establishment at work, even long after all concerned are dead their has to be a pretence that they didn't behave reprehensibly.

The knowledge these people have that the rules, the law or decency towards the inconsequential members of society's lower ranks don't apply to them is implacable. They are fully entitled to do as they please and if others can't see that then the fault lies with those others.

• Helpful
Reactions: GMJ

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Questions were asked in the House...

This book might help Alan. It claims to have the full list published for the first time...

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,733 Posts

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Sorry. I didn't see where you mentioned any book by it's name so I thought you may have missed that one.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,733 Posts
A partial list of the most prominent Right Club members. The extent to which the British aristocracy, and Royalty, beyond just the Windsors, were committed to Hitler might seem quite remarkable. Red Book: Membership list of Captain Ramsay's Right Club - Archives Hub

That link gives a partial membership list but it seems to indicate that an apparent full list is available in the Red Book. Yet the membership must have fluctuated.

Surely we must be surprised that such important historical information isn't freely available, nor for that matter are detailed accounts of the whole scandalous episode freely available in the public domain. We should wonder why that is.

I see one for 27€ on Amazon.es, may buy that.

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
I finished Brave New World by Aldous Huxley a couple of days ago. Having not read it for 40 years, it was quite a fresh read for me again. I enjoyed it and very prescient given that it was written in the 1930's.

As a break from the heavies I am now reading Who Dares Wins by Chris Ryan.

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
I finished Who Dares Wins by Chris Ryan a couple of nights ago so have now started Thunderball by Ian Fleming: the 9th Bond book.

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
I finished Thunderball and have now moved on to The Associate by John Grisham. It's setting up nicely as a nother classic Grisham read.

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
I finished The Associate by John Grisham. Another typically gripping Grisham read but I was a little disappointed with the ending on this one.

Looking for something new tonight. I think it'll probably be a classic/oldie.

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
I started 20,000 Leagues under the Sea by Jules Verne, last night. A promising start was had last night.

Reactions: patp

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
I finished 20,000 Leagues under the Sea by Jules Verne the other day. I can see why it's regarded as a classic. A blooming good read it was.

Have started Inca Gold by Clive Cussler now as a bit of something lighter.

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,719 Posts
I'm still on The Other Boleyn Girl - a very interesting read. I'd hate to be a woman in those days - even those in the aristocracy had virtually no rights n were just bargaining material in the marriage stakes for the heads of family to improve their lot. In fact they may have had less ability to plan their lives than lower-class women.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,733 Posts
Alex Gerlis, End of Spies. Quite good, WW2 Nazi hunting. Entertaining distraction. One in a series of Prince books.

· Premium Member
18,566 Posts
I am on Zero Day by David Baldacci at the moment. Very similar to the Jack Reacher novels.
I have this on my Kindle along with about a dozen more of David Baldacci books, tonight I begin reading that one Pat and we can compare notes 😁. I`ve been out of the reading habit for 3 years then I got the Netflix habit and that's been taking up my time instead. I check on here now and then to see what you´re all reading.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,733 Posts
Currently reading all the Wodehouse Blandings books again for the nth time. Just started Uncle Fred in the Springtime. I never tire of Wodehouse even when I know every word.

• Wow
Reactions: GMJ and raynipper
141 - 160 of 169 Posts