Motorhome Facts Forum banner

What are you reading at the moment?

27K views 308 replies 18 participants last post by  GMJ 
#1 ·
Aside from the news, are you a reader? Avid or occasional?

I have just finished the new John Grisham novel - The Judges List - and it was excellent; well up to his normal standard. I will need to start a new afternoon book today.

At night I am currently reading Ian Fleming's Dr No on my kindle. Always a good read the Bond books (Im trying to do them in order) and around 200 pages too. How they manage to make 3 hour films out of them I don't know!

What about you folks?

Reactions: patp and 242633
#28 ·
I finally finished the Mirror and the Light - the tension was palpable even tho you knew what was coming. I've now moved on to something very light - The Olive Farm by Carol Drinkwater. She's trying too hard to be clever I think but I'll stick with it for a bit.

#29 ·
I still have Guy Martin's latest book Dead men don't tell tales on the go as my MH afternoon hard back reading book. At night I am currently reading The Broker by John Grisham on my kindle. Both reads are very good: classic Guy Martin pus a slight variation on his normal theme for Grisham.

Reactions: patp
#31 ·
Read all Martins book on kindle, bit put off by his nighttime activities in his van.

#33 ·
Just read top of the Fiction sales list: The Songbirds by Christine Lefteri. Good writing style. Tragedy-romance. Topical subject woven into plot the lives and deaths of migrant workers. Thought-provoking, but probably not a topic that would generally appeal to the average male reader unless they are particularly sensitive to the plight of certain sectors of mankind.

#34 ·
I have now finished The Broker by John Grisham (another cracking Grisham read) and have moved onto the 6th (?) book in the Dune series by Frank Herbert called Chapterhouse Dune. As with the others I find it a hard read.

#35 ·
I tried to start a biography of James Stewart yesterday but its badly written, we both bought books from the Culzean used bookshop, i got a couple of CDs too.

#39 ·
#40 ·
We Are Bellingcat. Interesting and informative.

Among other things there's a lot of info about how their investigations of stories run on RT were simply Russian propaganda representing film of events in one place as having taken place in another and having been carried out by people sponsored by the west or NATO. I found it interesting just how that feeds into what Russia is saying now. Their portrayal is of a long and ongoing proxy war with NATO, so they'd say that Ukraine and whatever comes next is just another part of that war.

#41 ·
I'm really enjoying this Jason Plato book, funniest thing I've read since a certain ex rozzers book.

#42 ·
I finished my afternoon read: Guy Martin's latest book Dead men don't tell tales the other day. It's a good read and very similar style to his previous stuff.

So in the afternoon's I have started reading The Triumph of the Sun by Wilbur Smith...which I picked up on a campsite when we were in Spain.

I am 90% through the Frank Herbert Chapterhouse Dune on the kindle for my night-time read. It's been hard going in places but tbf has come good at the back end as all the threads are pulled together.

#44 ·
We used to like the old readers digest condensed books in the 70s

#45 ·
I have some hard cover Readers digest at home, bought a job lot from a charity shop some years ago . I think there are a few I still haven't read.
At the moment I'm skipping many pages of a book because it's so drawn out, it's called I Spy I saw her die. The beginning was OK but now I skip half a chapter and can still pick up the story because it's just a load of nothing new to fill pages. Free on the kindle of course.

#47 ·
I finished Chapterhouse Dune and it came good in the end thankfully.

I have now moved on to Hood by Stephen Lawhead which is a new/different take on the Robin Hood legend. It's good stuff

#48 ·
Still on Plato, nearly finished, one of the funniest autobiographies I've read so far, I sort of slow down when I get near to the end of a good book, I like to enjoy them over a few weeks anyway, what's the rush.

#50 ·
Wrong Plato you nitwit.

#52 ·
I finished reading The Triumph of the Sun by Wilbur Smith the other day. What a cracking read it was too and would make a superb film (in the mould of a Lawrence of Arabia-type epic).

The latest afternoon book is Down Under by Bill Bryson. I read it years ago when it came out and he always raises a smile for me.

#53 ·
Finished Plato last week, Highly recommended for a good laugh, started Jack Dees offering and it's not that funny considering, might bench that.

#54 ·
Nah, he attempts to be funny but fails badly, it's short silly chapter are quite tedious, so I have started a biography on Oliver Reed, seems ok so far, it might be interesting to see behind the man who loved to shock, I bet he was quite tame away from the public eye.

#55 ·
I finished Hood by Stephen Lawhead but there are 2 other books in the series which I have, so am looking forward to reading them. Have started The Bourne Betrayal by Robert Ludlum now: gripping stuff!