Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spotted this proud beauty in a field at a nice CS near Newark yesterday. Every now and again a bird would fly close to his 'patch', but not for long as this feisty little thing would immediately take flight and dive bomb anything approaching his territory, must have young ones nearby.

Never seen one of these before.

Any ideas?...

Pete

·
Premium Member
11,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had a look at Daves excellent bird identifier link (thanks) and I think you might be spot on, looks like a lapwing, i'm quite excieted about this, makes a change from sparrows and blackbirds :) .

I sat there for ages watching this bird, everytime another bird got close he would harras them, dive bombing and making a weird screechy type noise until they were gone.

I'm quite getting to like this twitching lark.

Pete

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
In all seriousness Pete there are some amazing sights to behold. A million starlings in winter all flying in syncrony or a few thousand pink-footed geese taking of simultaneously from a loch.
You must see this sometime.

Bob

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Lapwings nest on the ground, and as you so rightly observed, it became quite stressed when other birds got to close, it is protecting its young. Nothing wrong with being interested in the birds that can be observed. If you do not already, carry your binos and a Collins pocket books on birds in your unit, it can be very interesting and much better than watching the telly!!!

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Lapwings are usually seen in large flocks (when not breeding) they search for grubs in ploughed fields.

Biglol

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.