Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the site you have just arrived on which looked beautiful online turns out to be a caravan and wee wooden chalet grave yard?
Toilets were grubby and tacky with peeling paint, Craig my eldest son looked in the showers and promised himself he wouldn't use them :(
The static van bit looked ok and the play area was ok but on the whole yuck! Would you pay the full price (£11) or would you haggle!!!!!! We left hurriedly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
We leave.

And may look in the book for another, may stop in the local layby, depending on the time. Usually a small 5van site nearby. (Though depending on the weather, we can't use them all, not nice sinking in!!)

Lyn

·
Registered
554 Posts
When we were caravanners, i told the wife i was going to treat her for her birthday and would take her to a posh site with super pitch etc.

When we turned up it was not good, looked beautiful in the brochure.
Our pitch was right next to the toilet block (i mean next too) and the bins, there were wasps everywhere. We were supposed to have sky tv plug-in water connection, neither was working.
The so called swimming pool was no bigger than a postage stamp and there was supposed to be a pitch and putt golf course, this turned out to be a circle of 9 tee spots and one hole in the middle of the circle.
The toilet block was filthy, we were only there about an hour, went to see the manager and got our money back.

It all worked out good in the end (did us a favour) as we found a lovely site near Bolton Abbey

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just wondering where you went so we can avoid it.
We have only been to one we would not go back to. Didn't even check the toilets out due to seeing the owners house. We did stay although it was only the third time we had been away. It wasnt the same site as you went to due to it being really cheap although the "rest in peace" vans and ebay specials sound familiar.
The odd thing now is we would have come home (less than 1hour away) but had decided to try somewhere nearby.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I suppose there is a moral here on this thread, and that is, if you have not been to a site before, ask on here about it, I'm sure someone will have tried it or heard about it, you never know.

This thread has made me realise this, in the past we have been lucky, in that we use sites we are familiar with.

Carol, it depends on what time you arrived, if it's late stay the night then move on, mid day arrival move on straight away.

My children a particular, has to have their seal of approval.

MHS...Rob :D

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hi,

We were going to Whitby last year before the York Show and found a lovely looking site in Whitby with sea views on the internet,well when we arrived it was two rows of vans with about five foot apart,before we could turn round to come out a chap came up to us i was talking on my phone he just butted in and shouted,stick it in there mate,right in my face,after we told him to stick it,we went to the brilliant Low Moor site,and found one of the few Caravan Club sites with lovely wardens.

Sorry can't remember the name something Farm i think.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Can I make a suggestion. I personally would turn around and leave, BUT I would let the manager know that it is due to the state of the place. If enough people tell them they will get the message and hopefully do something about it.

Dunno If I am being naive, but I run a business and I obviously get the odd complaint. If I get many complaints about a specific thing it gets my attention and I fix it quickly.

Karl

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi everyone, the site was in the Isle of Whithorn in Dumfries it did say it was under new management, so perhaps it will improve in time Hadn;t thought of notifying the guide book ( actually on the ukcampsite website) but think I will.
We arrived after 11 at night due to road problems and left at around 6ish stuck a note through door of site office and beatled off sharpish. The views were lovely the grave yard not so much :roll: We finally booked into the CC site at new england bay which is gorgeous and had a rare old time, but yeah think I will ask around next time

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Leave - I would leave with a distainful look in my eye and then post on here the full name and address of this site to shame it. God. it sounds like one of our hospitals.

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
I am not fussed over a night stop, most anything will do. If I want to stay longer I will generally look the site over, this is more accepted on the continent than here. I move on if I don't like it. I rarely advance book sites and definitely don't if I know nothing about them.

peedee

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.