Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ViaMichelin alledges that a car & caravan,(substituted 4a motorhome since that option is unavailable) will go from holyhead to dover in 6h40min and amazingly for £35

the £ doesnt concern me but the time seems too short?

its 580 km & my average intended speed will be 80km/h(pulling a trailer with 2 heavy touring bikes) so that suggests 7h 20min so thats not too bad

BUT 75 km anticlockwise on M25 hitting it round 4pm!!!!!!

What do you think is realistic, dep holyhead at noon on a saturday

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
Hi philre , on a distance like that i would always stick an extra hour to hour and a half for stops, ie traffic holdups puncture wee stops etc.

If you arrive early space permitting you may get put on earlier sailing.

Cheers
Dave P

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Take it from me - You wont do it in less than 9 hours . . which includes a couple of short stops and the dreaded M25

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
Widely varying times - and could even be longer if the traffic is held up on the motorway.

I'd stay the night in either Dover or Canterbury rather than risk missing the boat. A very good aire at Canterbury ( Dover road Park and Ride: £2.50 per night including bus into town ) or Marine Parade Dover.

G

·
Registered
287 Posts
I live in Beddgelert, North Wales, about an hour from Holyhead. It takes me between six and seven hours to reach Dover in m/h depending on traffic and I do this trip several times a year. As you would not come via Beddgelert but go along either the A55 to join M6 or the A5 to join M54 then M6 I would think allow around seven hours minimun. M25 between 3 to 4 o'clock is not usually to bad, a lot of traffic but moving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.