Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone (while I was away) has lost the cover for the gubbins in my Toyota Aygo key. I assume it's something that plugs into the 2 cavities? Any idea if it's possible to replace, what it's called and where I might get it?

The gubbins will Watch Gadget Clock Material property Wrist
definitely need some protection.

·
Premium Member
22,851 Posts
I doubt that you will be able to buy just that cover, Duck tape would cover it.

Does it still work without the cover ? I wonder whether the cover completes electrical circuits and is therefore essential, but if it still works without,bthe just tape and perhaps a couple of small pieces of plastic would suffice.

Looking at an enlarged version of the picture, the round black parts are switches to press (lock and unlock) so you ought to be able to cut a piece of eg yoghurt pot type plastic to the correct shape to cover the whole thing, held in place by tape.

If you go to a scrap yard they may have an identical looking key (Toyota, Citroen or Peugeot) and you could get the correct cover from that. You do not NEED new electronics as long as it still works if you carefully press each button separately.

Otherwise it’s a new key time and they have to come from main dealers afaik as the code has to be entered in the key before use.

We had to buy one for our Picasso and it was around £70 about three years ago…..

·
Premium Member
27,833 Posts
In haste they are available and easy to change. I have done a couple for local widow Jean.

Ray.

Reactions: erneboy and Penquin

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks! I'm on grandchildren duty at the moment - straight back into harness n loving it! - but will have a look later. Yes, the wee buttons still work but they're quite far in so hopefully I can find the real thing!

·
Premium Member
27,833 Posts
I think Kath bought them from Amazon France Jean. I fitted them for her and now a happy bunny.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice folks - this is what I got for the princely sum of £3.90 (and even got it within 24hrs as they offered me free Prime (again!))

I had hoped I could just use the one side that has the button covers but it wasn't a perfect fit with my other half so I lost the Toyota logo - but it's working perfectly. It was an easy job but as someone said, check out YouTube and don't forget the transponder!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts