Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just received my car renewal from Adrian Flux brokers,even though I haven't had any claims and the details were exactly the same,the premium had increased by 10%.

So after ringing Saga and allowing them to give me a no obligation home insurance quote(which I didn't have),the car insurance was £65 cheaper,with broadly the same cover.

While I was at it I also got a quote for the m/home which was a whopping £130 cheaper 8O

I decided to take out the Saga car policy and had to ring Adrian Flux to cancel my existing policy.They asked why I had cancelled,when I said that Saga were cheaper,Adrian Flux guaranteed to match it :?

It was too late by this time as I had already took out the Saga policy.Why can't they offer the discount initially?

Seems like you are penalised for stopping with the same company,I think it is better to change insurance year on year to take advantage of the introductory discount.I also intend to change the m/home insurance when it expires next month. :)

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
I've just been through the same experience with Motor Caravan Wise. Been with them for 10 years and this year the premium shot up. Have never claimed for anything. Shopped around and Saga came in at a third of the price for about the same cover. I paid an extra eighty odd quid and got European Roadside Assist with them, that still saved me about £150.00 from what MCW were asking for.

Nick.

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Hi Steve

I think it's an "age" thing.

We grew up at a time when loyalty was indeed rewarded, and genuinely so. No such thing as "new member discounts" . . . they had to be earned by staying with the same company for a number of years.

Now it's all reversed, and I think you are correct in suggesting that an annual change of insurer would be the best way to keep premiums as low as possible.

It's a pain in the backside, but there's nowt we can do to change it, so we may as well learn from the younger generation and be loyal to only one person!!

It goes against the grain I know, but that's how it is in the modern world.

Disillusioned of Doncaster

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Problem with these people if you try to get an 'on line' quote where they are invarably cheaper to new customers as soon as you enter your address details it comes up' Already insured with us' and you are blocked!

Happened when I tried it with Saga on the house.

Peter

·
Registered
196 Posts
nickoff said:
I've just been through the same experience with Motor Caravan Wise. Been with them for 10 years and this year the premium shot up. Have never claimed for anything. Shopped around and Saga came in at a third of the price for about the same cover. I paid an extra eighty odd quid and got European Roadside Assist with them, that still saved me about £150.00 from what MCW were asking for.

Nick.
In my case it was the other way. Been with Saga for 12 years +. Max no claim, protected. never had a claim. when I told them wasn't renewing as I had Found better, cheaper, they then offered to match. Told them to stuff it. My point being that if I have to search to enable the company to reward me then I will go and search each year, and change company.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Insurance renewals

Yep fraid its a sign of the times.

Everybody has an introductory offer, So for the house and the car I've been changing insurers each year, but according the "Honest John" in the Saturday Telegraph, the insurance company won't be so helpful if I've only been with them a year if I have a claim!

Still the amount saved over the years by taking introductory offers is quite considerable.

Now conversly, I've used the same camper insurance for about 10 years cos the range of stuff they include suits me, seems a reasonable price and includes RAC cover on the camper and car.

interestingly, today I had a letter from saga offering me a 25% intro offer on house insurance, and an email offering me a 33% intro on the house. However I'm happy with another quote from another co so will be going there.

alan

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hello all,

I think I know where the problem lies.

I have done some temping in an Insurance company working on insurance renewals, and basically as long as there has been no claims the difference in last year and this year renewal is allowed to go up in between a set percentage, and you dont query it when processing it unless it is above this percentage.

So your policy is just sent out, the personal touch has gone, so most peoples go up, unless it was loaded due to an accident or claim then it may be reduced in further years.

So it is always good to just shop around at renewal, otherwise you will get a rise and it is usually more than inflation!!!

Kind regards
Pat

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Kev,

Can I add you to each of our motor insurance policies, please? I'm happy to pay you (say) 20% of the £40 per policy saving.

Apologies for being so shamelessly off topic!

Regards,
John

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Same trick with my son's and daughter's car insurance.

.....put a crumbly on the policy as a named driver and the premium goes down dramatically. Great if the driver is only 21 or so (daughter). Completely legal and above board as the policy is still in the name of the main driver; it simply changes the risk profile. We are named drivers for both of them. Increased car useage flexibility as well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.