Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got a wheelchair lift fitted to a motorhome? If you have what type have you fitted to what model. How long have you had it and how reliable is it please ?

peedee

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wheelchair lifts

I have just had an "easylifter" fitted to my new van and although it needed some modification with the size of platform, a new one was fitted with sides on it to stop my powerchair falling off, it did four time when trying the van on a proving trip. This cost me an extra £100 but the final solution seems o.k

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am not disabled myself but would be interested to know how well the disabled are catered for in motorhomes? Are there specific models available or is it always necessary to covert existing vehicles to suit, e.g wide doors, and corridors etc?

Regards

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Joggerman, It is my experience that the disabled are not really catered for to give us much choice, wide doors, lifts and other fittings that may be required depending on the persons disability, are available but expensive, and the firms that are willing to do this are few. For instance Autotrail or Murvi, will consider your needs. A disabled person does not need all oh these, some can manage with a panel van conversion, some need automatic, and in some cases the disabled give up the idea. But it really is worth while trying, just for the freedom and independence that can be achieved. I get a great satisfaction in looking outside and seeing my van and saying "I have done that".

One problem is I get the idea but how can I achieve it? Sometimes a neighbour, or sometimes my back pocket helps.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hi

I am not registered disabled but I have great difficulty in getting in & out of most vans. I have not had to resort to using a lift hope I never will.

I cant access these under bed store units that have floor level access but these days I have noticed this situationhas improved. The Autosleeper Clubman springs to mind here. Could never use under th settee behind the driver seat. Doorways is another problem they never seem wide enough. For those who need a wheelchair it must be a nightmare.

Glad you are able to enjoy your motorhome

Motorhomer

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I understand that AutoCruise are very receptive to disabled mods to vans where these are possible such as wider doors and interior mods etc. Clearly if there is furniture fitted at each side of the door this option is not possible.
I think its a matter of looking at a van and assesing if mods are possible.
The quoted example of an A-S Clubman is classic, its construction means it cant have a wider door but there is furniture/fittings either side of the door. Its narrow passageway means a standard width manual wheelchair would not fit let alone an electric - these are the sort of things to consider
Also, if you are able to move independantly a Fiat/Boxer dash mounted gear lever with handbrake on the right of the driver gives you easier access to the cab area.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Chuggs was a disabled carrier with a wheelchair lift in a previous life so is suitable for that use - AS Trident

A

·
Registered
1 Posts
About wheelchair lifts

Hi,

There are many paratransit systems established by government or several community agencies, and also by private paratransit industries. Recent technological systems are slowly developing wheelchair and EPW technology. Different wheelchairs have different characteristics. EPWs are specifically designed for home use and also outdoor use. They are usually requested for persons who are uncomfortable while using a normal chair due to arm, hand, shoulder or other general disabling conditions, and if they are not having the leg strength to move a manual chair with their leg. You can suggest different type of wheelchair that can also be used while travelling and these types of chair have the automated controlled system. To get various wheelchair models and the wheelchair accessories, you can get into www.terrylifts.co.uk. You can also get the wheelchair spare parts through online itslef.

·
Registered
14 Posts
about wheelchair lifts

hi everyone we are the proud owner of one of the last 2007 sea cpt motorhomes with a side lift and wide door we also have had a short cieling track hoist put in.We spent 70 nights away last year with our disabled 9 year old daughter we top toe her with our 5year old son. :) its been the best purchase that we have made but would like to see other models appear and have had alot of interest from disabled friends and groups maybe an A class with 2x single traverse and 1x overcab would be a good option.the only disadvantage or grip about the sea cpt is that due to the fixed double traverse we have limited lounge space .

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In researching what is available on the market now (OP was in 2003) I came across >this SuperArm lift< It is available from >this Company< and they produce a 124 model suitable for a motorhome. It seems to have some major advantages over other types of lift, takes up very little room, does not obstruct a doorway, uneven ground should not be a problem and it requires very little space along side to use it. I am trying to find out more about it, price, weight and if there is a UK dealer.

I don't suppose anyone/a member has got one?

peedee

·
Registered
109 Posts
We haven't got one but would really be interested in one. We are just going down the route of having our bus adapted. Just getting the quotes. You wouldn't believe them. Please could you post on here or PM me if you get any details.
Thanks Kath

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Hope this post is permitted and not seen as adertising, but the guys that made/sell my van are mobility experts and can deal with lifts, cranes, hoists etc. They custom make/mod their vans to suit

http://www.roywoodtransits.co.uk/mobility/index.html
http://www.horizons-unlimited.co.uk/mobility_options/index.html

They know me (I helped them at NEC etc) - but I am not them nor work for them etc.

It may be worth a chat with them but if nothing else the 2nd link above has lots of pictures of what can be possible.

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Just a word of warning about fitting lifts on motorhome-check the additional weight that will be involved!

I learnt the hard way, had a purpose built M/C built by a company in Yorkshire. On delivery I took it to a weighbridge only to find that with only 4 adults in the vehicle and without the two disability scooters it was built to take, the vehicle was overweight by quite a considerable amount! This automatically invalidated my Mercedes warranty and no doubt the insurance. It was returned to the converters and had something fitted (you guys reading this will know what I mean!) to boost it up to 3.850 kg but even then weight was a problem when the M/C was loaded so I sold it but not without telling the purchasers why. There were only two of them and the wife who had MS was in a small manual wheelchair so weight was not a problem.

I have written about my problems with the purpose built M/C somewhere else on this website. I now only look ast American R/Vs as there are fewer weight problems with those.

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
peedee said:
Kath, If I find out anything I will post it here.

peedee
I have had no response to my emails to the lift maker so have been unable to find out anymore about it. I assume they have no agency in the UK although I don't see this as a problem because in the past I have been able to obtain equipment direct from the States when it has been unavailable here.

peedee

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.