Motorhome Facts Forum banner

1 - 19 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
First trip out this year and first for six months.

We went to the C&CC site at Salisbury from Friday to Sunday, clear blue skies and bright sunshine although the wind ranged from a light to a stiff breeze and from cooling to chilling us to our bones!

The site was quite full, the sanitary blocks were all shut up though. One thing I noticed, motorhomes were by far in the majority compared to caravans, I'd say the ratio was 75% motorhomes to 25% caravans, didn't see any tenters although you'd have to be pretty hardy to be tenting out of choice at the moment, it's still bloody cold at night.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I am so jealous! We should have been there at the same time. Son and family live in Salisbury so this site was chosen so we could see them. Our 'teething problems' with the Murvi we bought last September have continued though and the latest obstacle to using it is a clutch problem. Not sure yet when this will be sorted. Frustrated as well as jealous.

Chris
Sorry to hear about that Chris, hopefully you'll get the chance soon!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Well, we've just got back from a long weekend away (4 nights), at the C&CC Chichester (Southbourne) site. We had a good weekend.

The site was about 85% full on Friday evening, 2/3rds MH/Campervans the remainder caravans. As the sanitation blocks are closed "own san ess" is required, I think this may be putting some folks off.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
That surprises me - I'd expected everywhere to be rammed.
Me too Jean, certainly the last week of the school Easter hols that was the case.

There's certainly been a lot of MH activity on the roads so I was expecting the site to be fuller.

Speaking to a colleague who's a tenter, he's not bothered looking at anywhere until after the next round of Covid restrictions are lifted on the 17th May (which is when, I believe the major clubs will be opening up their toilet/shower blocks).

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Just got back from 3 nights at Pyesmead Farm, a CL on the Hampshire/Wiltshire border on the edge of the New Forest in a village called Plaitford.

Thoroughly chilled time although the weather yesterday was a bit glum yesterday but we made the best of it. Takeaway food available from the Shoe Inn in Plaitford which was very reasonable and delicious.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Being a wage slaves (e.g. not retired), we can't book any really long trips, a couple of long weekends, a week in the early summer and 2 1/2 weeks later on in the year.

We can't afford to have to go into quarantine or isolate so crossing the channel will only happen if 1. We don't need to quarantine/isolate, and 2. There's something worth going to see and do whilst we're there (e.g. night time curfews, restaurants, bars and other venues being closed etc). If we do cross the channel, the only real planning we do is to follow the good weather.

In case we can't cross the channel we've meticulously planned a UK based alternative as the ability to be spontaneous is so limiting here. Personally, I find that so stifling but mostly it's due to lack of places to pitch.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
[/B][/B]

Have you never even tried wildcamping? I did it all over the UK for a couple of years - there are several counties which publish available CP for MHs, but generaly I just pulled up on a verge, away from houses and gateways.

What is the problem?

Geoff
Speaking as ex what are now called expeditionary forces, I'm firmly of the view that there's no such thing as wild camping in a motorhome (or a caravan or tent for that matter)! Bivvying, that's wild camping but camping off grid in a motorhome isn't wild.

Me and my colleagues (who are ex RAF Support Helicopter, Fleet Air Arm Junglies or Army and used to bivvying), were discussing how people refer to off grid camping as wild camping, the conversation went roughly like this:

One of the team mentioned somebody had been parked up in a verge near them in a motorhome for a couple of days...

Me: "Some motorhhomers call that wild camping".

After much guffawing and scoffing (which went on for a long time), the conversation carried on like this...

"But you're in a motorhome, you're not freezing your knackers off, getting wet, getting trampled by the local wildlife and you don't have to dig a scrape to have a poo!"

"I know" I replied,

"What's so wild about that"? they asked,

"You don't have lecky or water" I replied, matter of factly,

"We refer you to our earlier comment, you're not freezing your knackers off, getting wet, getting trampled by the local wildlife and you don't have to dig a scrape to have a poo!" they replied,

"I know" I replied,

"So there's nothing actually wild about it" they pressed,

"Not really" I replied,

"All of those times you had to bivvy out on Salisbury Plain or Stamford or Otterburn you would have killed to be tucked up nice and warm in a motorhome wouldn't you"? they asked,

"Absolutely" I replied,

"And you wouldn't have called that wild would you"?

"Nope"! I replied,

"So what do you call the type of camping this bloke (referring to the motorhomer parked up in the verge), was doing wild camping would you"? they asked,

"No, at best, it's off grid camping" I replied.

Some still scoffed at that but we moved on to something else after that.

But like them, I'm ideologically opposed to calling off grid camping wild camping. I suppose the only wild bit is getting rid of your black waste but it's still not the same as digging a scrape is it?>:)

I guess it's all about perspective really. I must say I don't miss the taste of hexamine in my food either.

Apart from that, the wonderful MrsWez is against the idea and wouldn't settle and if she's not a happy camper, I won't be (she's all right with aires and FP, taking the view that you're meant to be there).

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
MrWez

There's a good forum for off grid camping which might be worth your while joining.

You won't like the name though as its called wildcamping.co.uk

If you join you will have access to 000's of off grid camping spots via an interactive map and app.

PS Loving the avatar of Roobarb. I went to school with a lad who got the nickname Custard as some of us thought he looked like the purple cat! A bit unfortunate especially when he joined the Police after school and we'd see hi out on the beat! Difficult to impose order when regaled with: "Alright Cust, how are you?"
Thanks for that, you're right, I don't like the name but it is what it is. I'll take a look. I don't really see how so-called wild camping is much different from turning up at a rally and being without EHU etc.

Love the Custard tale, reminds me of when I was in the RAF and one of the lads took a commission, when he turned up at our unit some years later he'd given himself a more officer like name, needless to say we all remembered his nickname. As you say, difficult to maintain authority when people are calling you by your old nickname.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
For us we consider wilding to be off the beaten track. We have never stayed on a campsite since we started in a tent 16 years ago.
Like I say Kev, I just consider that to be off grid, wilding is bivvying to me based on 16 years of field deployments. A motorhome is luxury and therefore not wild.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Semantics really, and a matter of perspective, your perspective is by its nature quite extreme, and respectfully not really valid in this context, sort of one man's mea t etc.
I agree it's one man's meat etc. I could equally argue that your perspective, through its lack of extreme, is respectfully, just trying to make something quite normal sound edgy. As I said, I don't really see how what you call wilding is any different to what many people do throughout the year on rallies and DA meets, it's just a field, you've got no hook-up, mains water or waste...

Like you say, it's a question of perspective.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I definitely know winters, just as you say elsewhere (and very extreme too).

Boondocks is what some Americans call the back of beyond isn't it. I'd agree, ballcocks to that.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then, it's not something we should fall out about.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Just got back from four nights at the C&CC site at Moreton near Dorchester, we really had the great weather at long last!

The Moreton site is conveniently near the train station, we had days out in Poole, Dorchester and yesterday, Weymouth. No surprises that the latter was rammed!

The site itself was almost full (about 98% throughout the weekend). In spite of this, it didn't feel overcrowded, I think they may have removed some pitches to increase the social distancing but I've no real evidence for this.

The sanitation blocks are now open which has brought out the tenters, watching some of them set up or pack-up you can tell that for some of them it's their first time, they're so clueless but I guess we all have to start somewhere, fortunately I joined the military and learned properly!

I had a conversation with one of the tenters this morning as I was cooking breakfast on the Cadac, he had a clear case of Cadac envy, I told him of my old boss who'd felt likewise when he was tent camping,

"How did he overcome it"? he asked,

"Bought a motorhome" I replied ( it's true, he bought a Benimar Mileo 243).

It was a bit of a bittersweet trip though, it was the last in our beloved Bobby the IVth, a Bailey Autograph Approach 745, finger's crossed, our next trip out will be in our new Bailey Autograph 79-4i! We've really loved Bobby the IVth, we've been as far north as Copenhagen, to Potsdam in the east and Mimizan Plage to the south. The furthest west we've been is either Brest or Devon. It's been great but it's time to move on!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Kev's just posted on another thread that the fridge is not working on gas :(
Can you point me to the thread please?

I seem to recall in our first motorhome the fridge wouldn't work if the MH wasn't level within reason, for the life of me I can't remember whether that was on gas or electric but it is the reason why we still level our MH when out and about.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
We are on a forest car park mprth of Helmsley, going to see some birds of prey tomorrow.

Fridge lights okay and stays lit as long as the button is held in, this points me to the wassaname being duff, can't think whats called but the flame gives a current which holds the gas valve open, not a big job for a fit person so I'll just get it looked at in case I'm wrong,
That'll be the thermocouple then.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Just got back from 9 nights away, 4 nights at a CS Orchard Farm, at Chidham near Bosham in West Sussex, not many people on site but the biblical amounts of rain we had on the Friday would put most people off. This was followed by 3 nights at a small private site called the Spinney in Alresford, Hampshire, it was quite quiet mid-week but numbers picked up towards the end (mostly motorhomers I'm pleased to report). Finally, had two nights at Sopley PYO, on the Hampshire/Dorset border and is also a CS. The latter was a CAMC rally with the West Hampshire centre and our first rally in over 18 months!

Managed to get hardstanding at the first site (which was great because the field was very soft), but was on grass at the other two, the ground was softish at the Spinney but rock hard at Sopley in spite of the recent rain, also managed to get EHU at all three sites.

We had a mix of wet and quite fine weather, especially at Sopley which totally went against the forecast.

All in all, a good time was had and it was our first meaningful trip in the new motorhome with which we're very pleased!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Got back on Wednesday from a 650 mile trip, we were away for 19 nights, stayed on a combination of CLs, club sites and one private site, we called at Bognor Regis (CL), Brighton (club site), Rye (CL), Canterbury (club site), Bearsted (club site), Little Waltham (CL), Kessingland (private site), Sherringham (CL), Cambridge (club site), Oxford (club site).

One day's duff weather and another day where it rained just after we had returned for the day so no complaints there. We did have a few traffic jams going up to Suffolk but after that we had pretty good runs between the sites.

All in all, very happy really.

Did notice there were on average more MH or Campervans compared to Caravans, probably 2/3rds the former and caravans/tents the remaining 1/3rd.

1 - 19 of 114 Posts