Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
11,813 Posts
We have just come back from our first trip of the year (since December 16th actually). We went to Pembrey C&MC site for 4 nights and then Llwyngwair Manor site for 7 nights. It was just great to be away in the Mh again.

Other trips already booked for this year...

- Off to Pembrey again next Monday for 4 nights as we enjoyed it so much. Its less than an hour from home.

- Later in May: Cardiff and Cirencester for 14 nights

- June: Cheltenham, Cornwall and Devon for 26 nights

- Jul/Aug - North Wales for 24 nights

We haven't booked September yet however our plans are either the Italian lakes (Lake Iseo specifically) or the south of France, depending on the covid situation/travel rules at the time. The back up is a month long tour of Ireland, again rules dependent. Failing that it will either be East Anglia/Broads or Northumberland.

Hopefully we can get back to normal next year.

· Premium Member
11,813 Posts
We are just back from our second trip so far this year. We had 4 nights at Pembrey C+MC site where the facilities are closed. It hasn't been an issue to us really. Prior to the current situation I used to use on-site facilities, preferring to keep the on board ones for my wife to use. Also unless you have a fully serviced pitch, it meant more work for me filling up with water and emptying the grey. We had a fully service pitch at Pembrey so no worries there.

Oh, it also means emptying the toilet cassette daily as well as opposed to every other day, in normal times.

All we have done is adjust our daily routine really. The heating and water come on at 'early o'clock' on the timer so we have it piping hot by 8am. i then take first shower and brush my teeth etc. Mrs GMJ then gets up and has a coffee and breakfast by which time the water has heated up for her shower.

It hasn't thrown us out at all really. Prior to these 2 trips I had only used the shower once I think but I have been impressed thus far. We have a good sized cubicle plus the pressure is good and the water red hot.

We had a lovely trip away. the weather was foul on Monday when we left home to get to site and didn't relent all day. The next 3 days were cold but mainly rain free so we managed to get out on our ebikes all 3 days. As I had forgotten to pack the battery chargers I had to use mine in manual mode so as to save the battery for Mrs GMJ's use. Tbh it worked out fine as it is mostly flat in the country park and on the Millennium Coast path.

Anyway, our next trip away is next Friday. we are off to Cardiff for 3 nights and then Cirencester for 11.

· Premium Member
11,813 Posts
We are off on our 3rd trip away this year next Friday...hot on the heels of last week's. We are going to Cardiff for 3 nights and then Cirencester for 11. We get to Ciren on the day that the facilities will be open again.

Mainly seeing family and friends but we are also away for our wedding anniversary so will hopefully have lunch at the place where we were married.

· Premium Member
11,813 Posts
Nicely done Geoff.

We have 26 nights away in June (Cornwall and Devon) and 24 in July/Aug (north Wales). We are hoping to go to Italy in September but have held off from booking that yet. The back up plan for Sept is France or if not possible, the Republic of Ireland.

I am also hopeful that by January we can do our usual 2 months down to and in Spain.

Reactions: nicholsong

· Premium Member
11,813 Posts
MrWez

There's a good forum for off grid camping which might be worth your while joining.

You won't like the name though as its called wildcamping.co.uk

If you join you will have access to 000's of off grid camping spots via an interactive map and app.

PS Loving the avatar of Roobarb. I went to school with a lad who got the nickname Custard as some of us thought he looked like the purple cat! A bit unfortunate especially when he joined the Police after school and we'd see hi out on the beat! Difficult to impose order when regaled with: "Alright Cust, how are you?"

Reactions: MrWez

· Premium Member
11,813 Posts
I think the thrust of the site is mainly for single units to wildcamp/off grid rather than rallies. It's a great resource tbf and I think it would suit you. There's an active, friendly forum as well.

Whilst I don't go off grid myself, I have updated the stopping places around where I live for any folks who like wilding (sorry...off gridding!)

· Premium Member
11,813 Posts
We are off on Friday for 23 nights - our first big trip of the year.

2 nights in Cheltenham so we can see Mrs GMJ's dad and our son (who lives in Gloucester). We can't get the old boy out for lunch these days as he is wary of the Covid. Fair enough.

Then 11 nights in Cornwall near Mevagissey followed by 9 nights in Devon near Dawlish. Then 1 night in Malmesbury on our way home.

Fingers crossed for some nice weather and good health, after the last aborted trip!

· Premium Member
11,813 Posts
We are on a forest car park mprth of Helmsley, going to see some birds of prey tomorrow.

Fridge lights okay and stays lit as long as the button is held in, this points me to the wassaname being duff, can't think whats called but the flame gives a current which holds the gas valve open, not a big job for a fit person so I'll just get it looked at in case I'm wrong, the Nordelectric control panel seems to have a mind of its own (Italian made so no surprise there then) and the LB is at 11.9V so I need to get a meter on the terminals to see if it is charging, otherwise it's okay so far.

Oh yeah tyres are pumped up way too high so going to check them tomorrow, door label says 79psi ffs.

Despite having only a 5 speed box its not too bad too drive below 60ish, MPG shows as 28.8 but I'm sure i can better that, its supposed to have had a service recently, I'm not convinced so I'll give all the filtets a coat of looking at when I get home.

Signal is pants here icon is H+ I have to hold phone high to send.
I'm glad you got away Kev. Hopefully the weather will be kind to you.

Reactions: patp

· Premium Member
11,813 Posts
Today we will make our way over to Cheltenham for 2 nights. Off to see the FiL tomorrow. Our son will pick us up in his car and take us there. then the 3 of us have booked a table for lunch in a pub in Cheltenham. The FiL won't come with us as he is wary of going out due to the virus. Tbh it's more of an excuse as the older he's got the more curmudgeonly he's got, so any reason not to come out is good for him!

Sunday we will drive from Chelt down to Cornwall. We stay between St Austell and Mevagissey at a campsite on the beach (Pentewen Sands). We have 11 nights there, Nice walks; 3 places to eat on site plus a pub in the village; and lovely pasties...what's not to like!

After that we are heading up to Devon to stay at Cofton HP near Dawlish; a new place for us. We will be there for 9 nights.

The last night en route to home, will be in Malmesbury at Burton Hill campsite. Another new site to us however we know Malmesbury well having live only 6 miles from there 2 houses ago.

Weather looks decent for the next week and Mrs GMJ is in good health for her. Just got to load the food in and we can get away. Hopefully I should be back from my second jab by 9.00am.

Can't wait

· Premium Member
11,813 Posts
Thanks Pat

I booked this up a few months ago. I had a blitz and booked 4 trips. Our main summer trip will be up to north Wales in Jul/Aug when the schools are out and it will be high season. Hopefully that will be OK but could be very busy. In normal times we wouldn't have entertained the idea but needs must.

Half term ends today for many areas, so hopefully when we get to Cornwall on Sunday, most of the emmets will have left...

...but I'll bet good money that some parents will still be there with their kids outside of school holiday times which is just plan wrong!

· Premium Member
11,813 Posts
We just got back from 23 nights away:

- 2 nights at Briarfields in Cheltenham so we could see our son and Mrs GMJ's dad. We had lunch out with our son on the Saturday and then both came down with stomach upsets...so we won't be using that pub again! Son was fine but then again he's 23 and with the constitution of an ox!

- 11 nights at Pentewan Sands near Megavi...Mevgaviss..Meggasivv...St Austell :grin2:. Mostly very nice weather and lots of cycling on the flat Forest Trail (4 miles to St Austell). We enjoyed a few bimbles around the site and village and also had an afternoon drink out twice, in the local pubs. Rare for us to do that but it was lovely sitting outside having a cheeky pint with the sun out. This is our 'go to' site in Cornwall: huge grass pitches; lots of ablution places; 3 places to eat/drink on site plus few in the village; very friendly staff; a clean, well looked after site.

- 9 nights at Cofton HP near Dawlish Warren. Nice site with good links to bus, train, ferry plus also to the local cycling path. We cycled down to Dawlish Warren a few times and once on to Dawlish itself mostly off road on cycle/pedestrian paths. We got the ferry across to Exmouth once (a bit of an anonymous town centre we thought) and the train to Paignton once (once was enough: another example of a tired seaside town). A nice enough site but next time we'll get a pitch well away from the fishing lakes as the anglers arrive from 6.00 in the morning and despite them all staying on site, they seem to forget that folks are still trying to sleep at that time and have loud conversations. Also the gate to the lakes has a spring and kept slamming (noisily!)

- 1 night at Burton Hill campsite in Mamesbury. Never again!! 40-50m EHU leads all over the place; kids and dogs on the lose and running/playing all around and through the pitch; kids allowed to run around from 7.00am the next
morning making noise. I felt sorry for the recently retired couple in a MH next to us who were only on their second trip out in their new MH. Their first trip had been to a CL/CS and the look on their faces when they experienced this site, was one of bewilderment!

Anyway, back now. Only 2.5 weeks until we are off to north Wales for a month.

· Premium Member
11,813 Posts
It was only the last night that wasn't great tbh Ray. The other sites were fine and we would go back to them. Like all sites though, you are in the lap of the gods with who your neighbours are I guess. We were quite lucky in that regard as on the first 3 sites there were no real issues.

Mind you whilst at Cornwall, they were an older couple (tuggers) next to us for a few days, who had friends staying somewhere on site. On their last night he got his guitar and uke out and started playing and singing. VERY reminiscent of the Pub Singer that used to be on Steve Wright in the Afternoon's radio programme! Both the guitar and ukelele playing were poor and the singing laughable. Some young folks in a static nearby kept on egging him on too! Taking the **** and he fell for it! Poor chap.

· Premium Member
11,813 Posts
Yes Jean, not too bad at all thanks. We both picked up a stomach bug as I mentioned but recovered within a day or two. Aside from that she was in pretty good form and better for a few days in the sun and fresh air.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.