Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh Dear, my name does seem to be cropping up on here a lot !
Sorry for asking so many questions, i hope i can start helping other people soon.

What i'm looking for is a preformed cupboard insert that holds plates and cups etc.

Can you kind people recommend any good online sellers of kitchen stuff ect

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Storage

Sorry, I knew I would do it wrong trying to add two picture to one post. The above is the standard stuff as fitted by the Swift Group, but I think the same type of thing is available online in accessory places.

The link below gives other options.

Crockery storage

Russell

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
riverboat2001 said:
Can you kind people recommend any good online sellers of kitchen stuff ect
Any camping or caravanning accessory shop sells a variety of these. Try our own dear (MHF) Outdoorbits or Waudby's Go Outdoors, Riversway Leisure and so on. They all have pretty much the same range so it comes down to delivery charges. If you have a camping supplier near home it is a good thing to go and look at what is available.

Measure up your cupboard carefully. I would go for the type that you have to screw to the cupboard rather than the loose one that might just finish up joining you in the front if you stop suddenly. We have separate cup holders and use straight sided porcelain mugs which slide in nicely.

Most of them need some padding to stop things rattling and we find cheap mouse mats a very good thing. All those freebies picked up over the years at conference have come in very handy.

G

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Don't worry about asking loads of questions. That's what MHF is all about. :D :D

Just a thought. We don't like those preformed plastic things.

They take up too much room in the cupboard and the plates never seem to fit very well anyway.

I built our own bespoke plate rack which takes up less than half the floor area of the plastic thing, and stacks the plates up to the top of the cupboard . . . so wasted space usefully filled!! :wink: :D

The other half of the top cupboard can now be used for a number of other similar items which couldn't be fitted in before. Tumblers, wine glasses, plastic disposable plates (for en-route stops) etc..

As I said, just a thought. There's always an alternative to every problem. :wink:

Dave

P,S. Grizzly just said, "We have separate cup holders and use straight sided porcelain mugs which slide in nicely."

So have we, and these are also able to fit in the space to the side of the plate rack with the tumblers etc..

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Storage

Rapide561 said:
Sorry, I knew I would do it wrong trying to add two picture to one post. The above is the standard stuff as fitted by the Swift Group, but I think the same type of thing is available online in accessory places.

The link below gives other options.

Crockery storage

Russell
Thanks for the link...really healpful, although later posts are leaving me wondering wether to use them at all....i just have visions of all my stuff falling all over the place if i don't secure them in some way

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Hi Pete

Omnistops do work fine, but we're too idle to fiddle with them . . . well, I am anyway! 8O :oops:

This is my solution, both for idleness and making better use of storage space.

Dave :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zebedee, that's really nice, but my hubby would never manage to make that.
He saws like a wavy line grocer (as my mum says)

It would be more likely to be me doing this, but thats for the future.

Do you have to literally cram everything in, to stop it all moving about whilst on the road?

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
riverboat2001 said:
Do you have to literally cram everything in, to stop it all moving about whilst on the road?
No. :D

The plates don't fall out because the locker door holds them in place when it is closed. (There's room behind the plate rack for the pack of plastic or paper plates I mentioned earlier.)

The other stuff does tend to "rearrange" itself a bit if the roads are bumpy, but it's all melamine or plastic and takes only a second to sort out when the locker is opened.

Easy peasy then. You want a plate . . . you reach up and take one out of the rack. :D :D

Dave

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It is very easy to design and make one that will fit your own requirement - polysterene cutting out the exact size of the largest rim/edge to glass mug, then cover in sealing tape to finish off, works a treat for me and very easy. I am just trying to devise something suitable for my wine glasses as I refuse to drink from plastic containers. I know there are perfectly good brackets in our caravan stores, but they appear a little expensive at £7.95 just to hold 6 glasses, and they are only expanding hooks on a piece of metal/plastic!!!!

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Storage

Hi

Just a further note.

The pic I posted shows my present set up - those plates have travelled thousands of miles without any problem.

Reference the links to crockery racks - I have used them in the past - without any problems. Part of the "success" is positioning the rack in the cupboard, and thus using the cupboard door as a "stopper".

When carrying tumblers, I can stack three inside each other in one of the mug holders, but I line each glass with a piece of kitchen roll - this prevents the glasses from sticking together.

Russell

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
Zebedee said:
The plates don't fall out because the locker door holds them in place when it is closed.
That Dave is a very neat job. Our problem in using that design is that our crockery cupboard is large and semicircular with a plastic tambour front which I fear is not that substantial and too far from the plates to act as a restraint anyway.

My clever husband however reckons that if the shelves were made so that they sloped backwards the plates etc would not fall out of the front anyway- and for us this would be just right. The current rack that we have, with nothing other than wedged mousemats to hold the plates firmly, has a tendency to shed the plates if we go over a bump. They are sideways on and roll out as soon as you slide the cupboard open.

Thanks for the idea; I'm always looking for a way to re-design that area.

G

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Hi Grizz

The answer is even simple.

You get a bit of that elastic cord that all the accessory shop have, and drill a hole at top and bottom of the plate rack, right in the centre.

(Strewth . . . this is hard work. Just been next door for lunch and Paul is very generous with the G&T! 8O :oops: )

You then knot the cord at the bottom hole so it won't pull through.

The top hole is cut through to a keyhole shape with the end open so the cord can be slotted in.

Another suitably placed knot and you just stretch the cord upwards and slot it into the keyhole when packing up to move on.

Hope this makes sense. I'm well oiled and have already corrected about 20 slepping mitsakes!! 8O :lol: :lol:

Dave

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Grizzly said:
Yesh...I get the dirft ! Tanks.
G
"Tanks" is the wrong word Grizz - as in "tanked up"!!

Think I should go and lie down for a while before I disgrace the Mods Team. :oops: :oops:

Dave

P.S. What's a "dirft"?

Have you been on the pop as well?? 8O :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.