Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Getting prepared for our French trip, we need to get our euros.

Is it better to change your dosh here or abroad, bearing in mind bank charges that apply when drawing money out with your debit card at ATMs.

Thank you for any info/advice you may have.

Texas :wink:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi Texas

Get mine from M&S their rate is always better then anywhere else, They don't make a profit on currency they hope you buy other goods while in store.

Regards
Phil

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
We use very little cash. Most of spending is on food or fuel and using a Credit Card is much more convenient.

We don't get charged for using our card abroad and the exchange rate we get when we pay it off is much better than the tourist rate.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
autostratus said:
We use very little cash. Most of spending is on food or fuel and using a Credit Card is much more convenient.

We don't get charged for using our card abroad and the exchange rate we get when we pay it off is much better than the tourist rate.
Hello Gillian,

Which card do you use and do you have any bother being unable to use anywhere. If so where.

We have a Nationwide Flex account & their Visa card. We have also recently got the Caravan Club credit card. Both are commission free.

Motorhomer

·
Registered
500 Posts
I do use ATMs for security but find at the end of a long trip i am never quite sure what is left in the usual account so i switch to a HALIFAX account that i have.

Never do this :( they even charge you £1.50 if you make a purchase in a Supermarket.

Nick

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Moondog said:
I do use ATMs for security but find at the end of a long trip i am never quite sure what is left in the usual account so i switch to a HALIFAX account that i have.

Never do this :( they even charge you £1.50 if you make a purchase in a Supermarket.

Nick
I dont have a halifax card but i must remember that. Thanks.

Do you have any bother ie unable to use your cards anywhere abroad & do you take any traveller cheques at all?

Thanks again

Motorhomer

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
The Post Office might be commission free but last time I looked at their exchange rates I could see why - they don't need to take commission on those rates!

Gaspode

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have to say that the last two times I used the Post Office I was given a very competative rate that was better than on the TV and in the papers that day. Also if you go to a main Post Office you can get them over the counter with no advance ordering, so you can watch the way the rate is moving and get them at the best time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We used our Nationwide cards on our recent trip to France and Spain, no commission but noticed on our account some ATMs cream off a few Euros for themselves! Iguess they do that over here if you use certain ATMs rgds deegod

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Paulway said:
I have to say that the last two times I used the Post Office I was given a very competative rate that was better than on the TV and in the papers that day. Also if you go to a main Post Office you can get them over the counter with no advance ordering, so you can watch the way the rate is moving and get them at the best time.
That's exactly what we do!! :)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Dave757 said:
We used our Nationwide cards on our recent trip to France and Spain, no commission but noticed on our account some ATMs cream off a few Euros for themselves! Iguess they do that over here if you use certain ATMs rgds deegod
Hi

So which bank siphon a few euros & which do not. . In other words which group of banks will do this free .

Motorhomer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.