Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not wanting a new one as I don't think they are worth the money and if I need accuracy I have a couple of apps plus Google Maps.

I used to have TomToms and they are easy to work with just convert anything to OV2 and off you go, I did have a Garmin once and it was fine but it was also a PDA so no real idea of what a standalone would be like.

Looking on eBay TT look to be cheaper, and maybe I have two TT ones V4 somewhere, but I'm not certain I may have chucked them when we moved.

There is also a possibility that one of you may be upgrading and selling your old one, I'd need western Europe maps if so.

Premium Member
I have several Kev 鈧10 to 鈧20 with lifetime updates.. Both TT and Garmins. Personally I much prefer the Garmins as they seem more user friendly to me. The TTs have a vast menu which can be daunting and time consuming if you just need to change some setting.

I do have a couple of others A Mio with 43 countries bought for 鈧5 and still working but old maps. No problem unless you need a new estate.

Ray.

Reactions: Pudsey_Bear

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lifetime updates a load of rubbish though, it's entirely down to when they bring out new models, they stop supporting old ones.

Premium Member
Always had TomTom if for no other reason than the vast amount of POI. Last two I have had are I think Tom Tom Start 20. Michelle drowned one but I think the replacement new with the whole of Europe was only about 拢100. Tried a couple of old Garmins that someone gave me as they had headphone sockets for the bike but they were rubbish. Key thing for me has always been the ability to put in lat and long and on some models that was dropped.

Premium Member
I have found the power plug is recessed on the TTs I have and not always a good tight connection.

Ray.

Premium Member
The early Tomom ones hat the dodgy power socket but they are ancient now. I still have mine from about 2003 as it has a headphone socket for the bike but the charger socket is rubbish and now if I ever use it I have to wedge a safety pin in it to charge it up. However for the bike now I just use the phone and Google maps. TomToms I think have been usb c for about ten years now.

Premium Member
They might be 'ancient' Baz but 5" and now 2021 mapping of 43 countries can't be bad for 鈧20.
But I still prefer Garmin cos they are simpler to use.

Ray.

Premium Member
With the TT Kev, I download "TomTom My Drive Connect" onto my PC and when I plug either of my 'old' TT sat Navs in it recognises them and tells me the latest mapping update and I just click 'update' and away it goes.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mydrive-connect/

Ray.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you sure they are actually new maps, as I used to do the same, but it never put up a new road that had been built near me even 5 years later and in use it would ignore roads of roundabouts in places we didn't know.

It would not be in their own interests to keep updating old units as they would sell fewer new ones.

Premium Member
Yes I am sure Kev.
There are a couple of 'recent' road alterations near us and I have checked they are current. Yes it can take a year or 18 months to fully update some road changes.

Oh ye of little faith.

Ray.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I know it takes a while to update as they don't do the data collection, they just buy it in, but my maps just got replaced same files sizes too, no new data, I wonder if it is another UK rip off thing.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just followed your link and logged into my account.

they offered me an updated model https://promotion.tomtom.com/en_gb/replacement-offer-nav/?prefix=Z1#offers

I also get this, but it seems to think I have a different model mine is/was tomtom one first edition V4 with the part number (4N00.005) I chose this model as it had the ability to run two different versions of the maps due to it taking a SD card, I had the unit set up for work with delivery POIs and the SD card had camping POIs on it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aha, I found the actual thread, If you read it you will see he helped me to sort out a more personal one for myself, I can't post that now as it has data from the Wildcamiping site and Phil would not be very happy, and it's very old data anyway, it does have a lot of our earlier camping places but I'm not going to be sharing those :D :D, but it was quite easy to alter it, I kept up to it for a while as my brain still worked back then, and it was written in such a way that if you clicked on one of the places it automatically brought up a Google street view.

I hope the man is well.

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/3...info/118093-new-camping-pois-spreadsheet.html

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.