Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to admit, I would rather be in a park with alot of dogs than a park full of kids and teens.

There sometimes will be a dog that is annoying but the kids are always walking around the park loud and cussing late into the night.

What are your views ?

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
I would say kids WITH dogs.

Parents chuck them out to take the dog for a 'walk'.
The dog does what a dog does and the kids aren't going to clean up after it.
Not their fault. It's parents getting rid of their responsibilities!
Rant over.

Gillian

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
You right Gillian, it's the parents everytime!
kids and dogs copy :thin:

LUV these smileys, what a sad :geek: I am 8)

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
One of the good things about aires I suppose is that in the main family units don't use them.
On many of them I suppose parents wouldn't be able to let the kids out of the van in case they got run over.

Gillian

·
Registered
176 Posts
When we had a caravan, many moons ago, we camped on a lovely site in the New Forest next to a couple with three very well trained and behaved dogs, no problem. Later in the day the couple's three teenage kids arrived back from their cycle ride and they turned out to be ill trained and badly behaved. Thankfully we were only there for the weekend. We vote KIDS!!!

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
It's not kids or dogs but the parents and owners who are to blame for letting their offspring run wild and their dogs foul and wander around at will.
Adults can be just as badly behaved, young and old, loud music, late night drinking and singing etc. Lets be fair and honest, there are good and bad people everywhere.. their offsping and pets simple reflect their own attitude and upbringing.
To generalise is to brand all, to single out is predudicial...

We legislate against racism but it seems OK to be predudiced agains kids, pets and families. Some sites now ban kids ...what has this world come to. :?

Site owners and wardens need to be pro active, if anyone is spoiling anothers peace and quiet they should be warned and if they re-offend sent packing. Puting a blanket ban on kids or pets is unfair and any site opperating like this should be boycotted.

Im off the soap box now !

Jim

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I agree Jim, I also believe that children should be more involved with the whole Caravan/MH/Camping scene.
If they are frowned upon at every site they visit, then the are going to misbehave etc. plus where are the campers of the future going to come from......you don't have to be old to own a MH 8O

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well said Jim,
There is a place for us all, dogs and children or both. I personally, unless there is a good reason beyond my control, boycott any site that charges for dogs, (my child is now 36) and would do the same for sites that ban children but more importantly tell them so.
Whatever is this country coming to?
I think I can remember a while back being a child myself, don`t think I was perfect either!
Regard Malc

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree with Jim

its deffo the parents and dog owners to blame :?

last year we visited a site that didn't seem to have any rules and know one cared - kids were running around our tent long after we had gone to bed and on the next pitch was a dog which was never teid up and constantly came into our tent :x

we camp with both and on the whole think our children and dog are well behaved - we try to instill in them respect for others and ensure that they are quiet early and late - which is something many of the adults on the sites don't do ( when they sit up till all hours drinking) :(

One thing i have allways felt important is to involve the kids - get them helping wash up/ pitch the tent etc this helps them have ownership and helps them learn the safety rules - the other is to make sure that we teach by example - how can we expect children to be polite if we are not polite to them

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Spot on, Jim.

A quiet, well-behaved dog that is cleared-up after by its' owner is no problem.

Well-behaved children, aware of the effect their playing has on others, are no problem.

Noisy, yappy, dogs, running around, defecating wherever, are totally unacceptable, as are unruly children making others lives unpleasant. I think we're all agreed on that.

So it's the site owners responsibilty to ensure the latter are not permitted. Having the dog owners or parents leave the site because of their lack of care for others would certainly focus their minds!

Don't segregate us into enclaves because of the bad behaviour of a few - just make the buggers behave or leave. A simple choice.

Barry

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Hi All

thanks to everyone who wrote and supported my view.
Having raised six kids (two still at home) and owned several dogs they have all gone camping with us since they were little. We have brought them up to respect everyones right to peace and quiet and behave accordingly.
In saying that I love to see and hear kids and dogs playing and enjoying themselves.
When on holiday recently I asked my 14 year old son if missed his PC or games consol. His reply was refeshing.
."ohhhh no Dad, he replied, it's great getting away and enjoying simple things, fishing, cycling or even just playing on the beach.."

Perhaps if more children were taken on camping trips they would grow up to appreciate nature and the simple pleasures of life instead of craving the latest fashion items,mobile phone or games consol.

At the Newbury show we were parked about 15mts from a couple of motorhomes occupied by old folk who shouted and argued for three days, at times spoiling OUR peace and quiet.

We all grow old but let's do it in tollerance and respect for ALL around us.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
On balance I think the kids are more of a nuisance than the dog. I don't have to cook him meals - straight out of the can & he's happy. He never wants Mcdonalds (or Burger KIng if it's a motorway journey) I can tie him up so he doesn't annoy other people. :)
If only I could teach him to use the bathroom so I don't have to climb out of my nice cosy warm bed in the morning to take him for a walk......... :evil:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Although i have said what i did above
I must say my kids give me more greif than the dog !!

But then would we be without them 8)

One of the biggest problems is unrealistic expectations - kids need to be niosy - sometimes - children also need to learn how to play and use their imagination which we so often take away from them in this digital age! 8O

Look I'm on my soap box again so i think i'll shut up now :wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
i vote kids as the owner of two small dogs that are well behaved, i agree that kids have to let off steam but then lets face it we go away for peace and quite and there is nothing worse than having a ball banged against your pride and joy. and cycles ridden at speed around the site,

·
Registered
275 Posts
But if their parents were doing their job they wouldn't be riding around at speed or kicking a ball against your van becuase they would involved in family activity or at least containing their activity to the play area

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've just come back from a lovely weekend at a wonderfully peacful site. I've been there several times before and never had any problems with either children or dogs. This weekend was a different story. A couple of families arrived late on Friday evening and pitched their tents close by. No probs with that.....

Then the daddies started playing footie with the two boys.....no probs with that either until they started kicking the ball at the van parked near me. The owners were very patient and sat it out for some time. Then one of them came out and asked if they could possibly stop using the side of the van as the goalposts. The answer from one of the daddies was a mouthful of abuse.

It's the parents and the dog owners - not everyone is the same. My dogs are tied up and although they will bark if someone somes to close, they are well behaved.

banjo 8)

·
Registered
275 Posts
having spent the night ona site called bradford kairns near seahouses - i firmly beleive its the adults

Site owner for allowing the site to become overcrowded / not enough facilities for number of people and not enforcing rules ( i don't want hitler either )

Parents for letting kids run riot - we were parked next to leaky water tap which was very muddy - several times i had to explain to groups of children that they shouldn't really be paddling/digging in the water/mud as it made it difficult for those filling bottles etc - to be honest the response i got was good becuase i explained the reasons they shouldn't be there not just shouted at them!

Other adults with radios blasting till 12 midnight !!!

( showers were cold too!!)

Thats it - I'm off my soap box :roll:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.