Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone i am thinking of buying the 66CM PORTABLE SATELLITE KIT form maxview but i was wandering whether i would get a good reception in spain and also i now it is a free standing dish but could i mount this onto a pole attached to the back of my motorhome any help in this matter would be grateful

steve

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Hi Steve

Is there a reason you would go to all the trouble of mounting the dish on a pole attached to the rear of your van, when the Crankup uses exactly the same 66cm dish and would provide a far superior setup? 8O

Apart from the difference in the cost that is! :?

(Never used one in Spain, but I understand they are OK apart from the extreme south west.)

Dave

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
You will get a picture all the way down to the Barcelona area, then only the very strong signals like sky news as you go down the coast. In the Almeria area you need a 2.5 metre dish to get any bbc or itv channels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes it was about the cost as the crankup dish is about £340 and then there is the reciever and then the instalation all in all about £500 but the stand alone dish is about £300 and i was asking about fixing it to a pole at the back ot the motorhome for more security reasons.
anyway what does anybody else think has anybody else tried it and does it work.

steve

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Hi again Whisky

It would work OK assuming you used a sturdy pole that will not flap in the wind. If the dish is not at, or very near the roof line though you may have to always park the van facing approximately the same compass direction, which could be a pain. (If it is near the roof line, that will be a different pain, as you will need a ladder. :roll: )

Installing a Crankup yourself is not that difficult. I did ours, and lots of others on here have done it and will be willing to advise. :D

Do a search and you will find a lot of information already on here.

If installing it yourself brings the cost down to an acceptable level, that's the way I would go for certain.

If not, the pole idea will work fine, but will not be anything like as convenient - specially in a horizontal blizzard!!!! :evil:

Hope this helps

Dave

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
If you have a sky digibox at home take it to Spain with you and you will get plenty of channels, including Sky Sports if you pay for them, using the Maxview 66cm dish. Unfortunately not BBC, ITV or C4 in South of Spain though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.