Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace the awful draining taps on the Navajo, the new taps have a thread and its to go into plastic pipe & its a bit too big.

If I wind PTFE around the thread, put the end of the plastic pipe in very hot water for a minute and then push the tap on, will it work?

I have left the labels on in case I have to return them

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,721 Posts
I can't enlarge the photo but it looks as if the 2 are actually the same diameter. Could be difficult to get the insert started.

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[overQUOTE=Drew;3199175]How is the existing drain tap connected to the Navajo Jan? Dare I ask for a close up picture in focus please.[/QUOTE]

That picture is in focus Drew.

Here is the way it is the tap fits outside the pipe, this tap is just a wee bit too big to go inside the pipe.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,283 Posts
Doubt that a push fit will be a success.

If the internal diameter of the heated pipe allows, try turning the tap into it to cut internal threads. If that works simply unscrew it and then apply a few turns of ptfe tape.

If all fails get a handyman/plumber to sort it.

Terry

Reactions: 242633 and erneboy

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts
Have a look through the toolboxes in the workshop and see if you have a 3/4" b.s.p. tap, if you have try the warming up idea and turn the tap into the plastic pipe (turning clockwise).

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
From your picture Jan the pipe looks like a standard 18mm (¾) fitting.

Without knowing your pipe size it is difficult to advise you what to do, however the tap you have bought should be ideal according to the sizes in the picture of the tap.

·
Premium Member
8,458 Posts
Chris says you could go to a plumber's merchant with both bits and ask them for the brass fitting that Drew has shown that fits your two items. Tell them what you want it for and they will probably do it for you :)

·
Premium Member
36,045 Posts
This only internal Jan.

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:smile2: I have been waiting to here an email come in to say I´ve had an answer, good job I opened the forum.
Thank you to everyone of you.

John
I´ve got loads of taps, there must surely be a 3/4 BSP, but I don´t think the plastic wall is thick enough to take a thread.
Think the best idea will be Drews adapter, I´ll take all the bits to my friend Mario at the farm, hopefully he will know where to get the fitting and then if I smile nicely he will volunteer to fit both the taps for me. This pipe comes off the van easily, but it will have to go back onto the van before the fitting can be added.

The trouble for me is getting up if I try doing anything where I have to get down to it.

Thank you all again, one way or another from your suggestions I´ll get it done before next year.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Who sends you an email Jan to let you know you have an answer? I never send emails when I answer a question nor do I receive any when I ask a question.

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Who sends you an email Jan to let you know you have an answer? I never send emails when I answer a question nor do I receive any when I ask a question.
The forum sends them Drew on threads subscribed to. It´s working again now

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
I am going to replace the awful draining taps on the Navajo, the new taps have a thread and its to go into plastic pipe & its a bit too big.

If I wind PTFE around the thread, put the end of the plastic pipe in very hot water for a minute and then push the tap on, will it work?

I have left the labels on in case I have to return them

Glad you got a solution -but how come you have so much engineering knowledge ?

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad you got a solution -but how come you have so much engineering knowledge ?
Because Hans was a precision engineer Alan, I have a workshop full of tools and a Colchester student lathe, I sold a small lathe and a column drill just after he died. Hans taught me a lot, not just engineering but loads of other stuff as well, he was a good teacher and I miss him so much.

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
What's the problem with the original drain on the MH Jan?

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I can’t open or close them, it takes a superman to do it.
Before you ask, it has been cleaned sprayed, waggled about with a grip, off the van and they still won’t freely work. I think everyone who has the same tap has the same problem.
Picture of the blue tap on post 4

Reactions: Drew

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
The reason I asked Jan is that I have the same on my A-T Comanche and have never had a problem. Same with the last Comanche too.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
[overQUOTE=Drew;3199175]How is the existing drain tap connected to the Navajo Jan? Dare I ask for a close up picture in focus please.
That picture is in focus Drew.

Here is the way it is the tap fits outside the pipe, this tap is just a wee bit too big to go inside the pipe.[/QUOTE]

The reason I asked for a photo in focus Jan was to see the label on your first picture, I couldn't read the sizes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.