Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PC keeps nagging me to upgrade to Win 11. I really don't know if I want to learn a new operating system as well as lose some functions I am happy with.
It's OK saying you can 'roll-back' but what a waste of time.

Ray.

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shouldnt worry Ray. If your computer is more than four years old chances are it wont run anyway :D
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-11-vs-windows-10/
Remember when Microsoft said W10 would be their last OS?
To be honest, it doesnt sound like a big deal.
Seems you cant install it without a Microsoft account either. Quelle Surprise.
Thanks Baz. You know my PC is only one year old as with your advice I bought it. Lenovo M720q.

I am kinda concerned I will lose the use some old software I have got used to.
i.e. a 15 year old Casio camera dock, Windows photo viewer, Picasa, etc.

Ray.

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you were going to send an invoice but you said you couldn't beat their price.
Yep, I have come to rely and like my Photo Viewer and Picasa. The 15 year old dock couldn't be recognised by Win 7 & 8 but popped up again on 10. So I don't want to loose it again.

As far as I can see Win 11 is just different colours and rounder shapes. No improvements then.

Ray.

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Agreed Drew it was just a cursory glance but that all the time I can devote right now. I will await others in depth opinions. At least my PC is compatible.

Just checked and seen on a slightly older Lenovo ThinkCentre abd have a message that it Does meet the minimum requirements for Windows 11 and will be offered soon. So as it's only my standby, back-up PC I might try it on that first.

Ray.

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just looked at updating an older laptop and get the message unsurprisingly that it doesn't meet the requirements for Windows 11.

Ray.

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes thats always my worry wfd. Luckily I can and might upgrade one of my current PCs to Win 11. But it won't be my main one due to software fears.

Ray.

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I would love to change the battery on this cheap Chinese phone that has served me well and is all I need after two years. But sadly it's soldiered into the guts.
I do have a new (£30) replacement ready to go it's just a pain to 'migrate' over, so I keep putting it off and the old battery now needs plugging in three times in 24 hours.

Ray.

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The apps are easy to add to the new phone as I only have less than a dozen. But it's setting up the accounts again. Gmail, AOL, Whatapp, etc. One is always difficult.

Ray.

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Most Android phones have a "Mail" icon and suggest you add your account. They list Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. But then trying to add AOL it keeps telling me I don't know my log on details? Even though I log on using two desktops, two laptops, etc. So in the end I have to find and download another version of AOL to add that and scrap the Android Mail app.

Etc. It's just a faff.

Ray.

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yes Kev n G, personally I'm waiting to see what Computer Active Mag comes up with in the next few months. After all what's the rush?

Ray.

Reactions: GMJ

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
At the moment yes. But Microsoft has already said 'support' for Win 10 will end in a couple of years. Not sure when.
I have two Thinkcentre PCs and both are able to have Win 11 on for free but I'm hesitating and waiting for more user comments.

Ray.

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thats the trouble Kev. We get used to adopting and using some of the crap and then the later version deletes and takes it out and we then have to get used to the 'New and Improved' version again.

I have to seek out and download an old version of 'Windows Photo Viewer' and 'Media Player' because I don't like the new version. Plus now Skype is being dumped again after being incorporated and my mike and webcam are very old. But my biggest fear is my 2 year old Casio cameras use a docking station to charge and auto download pics that Win 7 and 8 could not use and it was only when Win 10 arrived it started working again.

Ray.

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I assume we have plenty of time to avail ourselves to the 'free' offer to upgrade. I'm happy not to rush in and wait at least a year if possible.
Computer Active has been more than positive but then I wonder if there is a commercial pressure to favour it.?

Ray.

Reactions: greygit

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I'm now thinking again of upgrading the spare PC to Win 11.
But I'm a little concerned about being able to reinstall the Windows Photo Viewer and my ageing Office 2007 on it.
I know I can 'roll back' but then thats just a waste of time. Any ideas guys n Galls.?
And no I'm not going the '365' route.

Ray.

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Yes Baz both my Lenovo ThinkCentre M720q's get the OK message from Microsoft.
I have been hesitating up to now but as the second hand PC is really only used as storage and downloading sat nav maps when the new one is busy, I was thinking of giving it a try.

Ray.

Reactions: greygit

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Thanks Baz, that just what I wanted. Someone to blame.............. ;):whistle:

Ray.

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Sadly no GG as I stopped my subscription to Computer Active this year when the postage went up to £85. I might renew next year to catch up with the latest.

Ray.

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
OH thanks GG but sadly not. Ironically they do a post & digital subscription or just a postal one but not a digital only.
Maybe I will ask about friends in UK to see if any have the card.

Ray.

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Thanks again GG. Will try and track one down.

Ray.

· Premium Member
26,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Thanks Dave. That was my worry that I couldn't reload 'Windows Photo Viewer'.
I thought the Windows Media Player was ditched before Win10.

Ray.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts