Motorhome Facts Forum banner
21 - 40 of 137 Posts

· Premium Member
208 Posts
None of my Windows machines can run W11, but I've just bought a new MacBook Pro and had a look at W11 running in Parallels Desktop on that. Just the usual rearranging that Microsoft do. Perhaps a bit more Mac like with turning the Task bar into a more like a dock. Even Monterey on the Mac hardly is enough of a change to warrant giving it the #12 (same could be said for OS 11).

So you don't miss much by sticking at W10. Just means eventually you'll get far enough behind that you'll have to buy a new computer. I like to get at least 5 years, if not 10, out of one. You do have to watch with app upgrades that you don't get so far behind that trying to import 10 year old data is impossible.

· Premium Member
25,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes thats always my worry wfd. Luckily I can and might upgrade one of my current PCs to Win 11. But it won't be my main one due to software fears.

Ray.

· Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
44,604 Posts
Mines ancient anyway so I'll stick with that, I could buy a new one, but I remember how well that went last year so I won't bother.

· Premium Member
4,937 Posts
@;My PC and laptop were top of the range 8 years ago but apparently the Intel 7 chips they both have are not good enough for Win 11 so I will just do my photography processing etc. on them with Win 10 as all my secure work like banking I do on my phone anyway.

· Premium Member
29,600 Posts
W10 will be supported until 2025 so if your current machine wont upgrade to 11 it must be four years old or more already. If you are still hanging on in 2025 to an eight your old or older machine, its time for an upgrade anyway! :D

I dont think i have ever had a laptop survive much more than three years. :D

· Premium Member
44,604 Posts
We are from a generation that appreciated the cost of things and tend to treasure them more, you never see older people with phones in their back pocket for instance, I tend to look at the price of things in shops and think it would cost an hour and a halfs wages to buy that and level it where it is more often than not, we turn lights off and shut doors, don't heat rooms no one uses, put a jumper on rather than turn up the heating, too soft young people these days.

I wish I'd listened to what my grandad used to say.

Reactions: GMJ

· Premium Member
29,600 Posts
We are from a generation that appreciated the cost of things and tend to treasure them more, you never see older people with phones in their back pocket for instance, I tend to look at the price of things in shops and think it would cost an hour and a halfs wages to buy that and level it where it is more often than not, we turn lights off and shut doors, don't heat rooms no one uses, put a jumper on rather than turn up the heating, too soft young people these days.

I wish I'd listened to what my grandad used to say.
:lol:

· Premium Member
44,604 Posts
Brilliant stuff, you'll be joining us very soon.

· Premium Member
4,937 Posts
W10 will be supported until 2025 so if your current machine wont upgrade to 11 it must be four years old or more already. If you are still hanging on in 2025 to an eight your old or older machine, its time for an upgrade anyway! :D

I dont think i have ever had a laptop survive much more than three years. :D
I have upgraded the PC and the laptop with SSD drives plus a lot more memory in both and as I said they will both do me for now as I use the smart phone for anything requiring security......that is of course if the Zionists haven't decided to keep an eye on me.

Reactions: barryd

· Premium Member
29,600 Posts
I have upgraded the PC and the laptop with SSD drives plus a lot more memory in both and as I said they will both do me for now as I use the smart phone for anything requiring security......that is of course if the Zionists haven't decided to keep an eye on me.
Yes that is a great way to extend the life of an old PC or Laptop. I did the same for Mrs D's Dell Latitude 13" but I still got her a new one for Christmas and we keep the old one as a spare but its still really fast and built like a tank. The main issue is battery life. You can keep buying batteries but they never last long. Same goes for old phones I think,

· Premium Member
25,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I would love to change the battery on this cheap Chinese phone that has served me well and is all I need after two years. But sadly it's soldiered into the guts.
I do have a new (£30) replacement ready to go it's just a pain to 'migrate' over, so I keep putting it off and the old battery now needs plugging in three times in 24 hours.

Ray.

· Premium Member
44,604 Posts
Odd mine just sorts itself out Ray apps n all, numbers are stored on the SIM takes about an hour and I'm up and running as before, it does help if you are running google chrome though.

Reactions: barryd

· Premium Member
25,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The apps are easy to add to the new phone as I only have less than a dozen. But it's setting up the accounts again. Gmail, AOL, Whatapp, etc. One is always difficult.

Ray.

· Premium Member
44,604 Posts
No problem even the bank app was done for me, AOL might be a challenge but I haven't used it since the 90s

· Premium Member
25,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Most Android phones have a "Mail" icon and suggest you add your account. They list Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. But then trying to add AOL it keeps telling me I don't know my log on details? Even though I log on using two desktops, two laptops, etc. So in the end I have to find and download another version of AOL to add that and scrap the Android Mail app.

Etc. It's just a faff.

Ray.

· Premium Member
44,604 Posts
Yes, I've never had to use it as I have had Gmail since the early noughties, I also have Yahoo mail, but only use that if I don't want spam emails from whomever I contact with it.

21 - 40 of 137 Posts