Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the crash someone posted a photo of a wooden door wedge that fitted on the inside of the living area door and prevented entry from outside.

I thought I'd saved the photo but I can't open it. I'd be very grateful if whoever posted this would do so again - and any instructions if available.

We'd like to make one to use when we leave the van as we see this door as the most vulnerable. We can leave the van through the cab doors. We've got alarm security devices but have seen how they are ignored when they go off in car parks so we want some other line of defence !

Thanks

G.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Can't help with the wooden wedge I'm sorry but we have recently really gone to town over security as we are touring France and Spain later in the year (not that security isn't required over here!). For our part, what we have done is fit the bars to help you up (sorry can't think of the name!!) on the cab door (we have only one) and on the main door. When we leave it in a town we can bring it over the doors and lock it. That gives peace of mind but yesterday Paul fitted a "Safe Door" on the main door at the bottom as we agree that door is most vulnerable.
Now we need to do something about the windows ...sad that you have to do all this isn't it? The most precious things we have in there are our dogs, we can't put a price on them! Ana xx

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the things that crossed my mind was to fit a dog barking alarm. they used to be very popular not that long ago in magazines aimed at the elderly ( not that I read those of course......) but I've not seen one recently.

It would have to be triggered by someone trying the doors or windows and would have to be convincing but I reckon an angry alsation noise might at least make the casual thief think twice.

Perhaps voice coaching for your dogs GypsyRose ? :D

G.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Hi Grizzly,

at least as long as you have the standard Fiat cab be aware that there is nothing more vulnerable than the cab doors! I have bad experience here!

We always deadlock our cab doors from the inside with a device called "Knackerschreck" (had pics on the old site, will try to get them on again) before leaving the van through the living area door (which is also equipped with an additional safety lock) or during the night.

Best Regards,
Gerhard

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd be interested in seeing photos too Boff please. We have a Peugeot cab which I think is the same as a Fiat - ? I wonder if the amount of crime against motorhomes is as bad a we fear or if it is another urban myth like gas attacks ?

Do your Yorkies sound fierce though GypseyRose ? I know they can be plucky little dogs when up against it but you've got to know that before you try to break in.

G.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Grizzly said:
I'd be interested in seeing photos too Boff please. We have a Peugeot cab which I think is the same as a Fiat - ? I wonder if the amount of crime against motorhomes is as bad a we fear or if it is another urban myth like gas attacks ?
Hi Grizzly,

can't upload any photos right now. But have a look at the following link (is German but the photo should be self-explaining): Knackerschreck

Regarding crime against motorhomes: Other than gas attacks burglaries or even theft of complete motorhomes is not a myth. I have already become a victim of an attempted burglary while we were sleeping in the van. The crooks cracked (of course!) the driver's door, almost without making any noise. Unfortunately for them "almost" was not good enough for me to stay asleep, so I came down from the luton with my BIG MAG-Lite torch just when they wanted to enter. They immediately changed their mind and ran away. :twisted: Then they were picked up by an accomplice in a car (with a number plate that had been stolen 30 years ago, as the police found out the next day). There are also some other forum members (provided that they have already come back) having similar or worse experience.

Nevertheless organized gangs seem to operate mainly in certain areas and seasons, so most crimes are probably commited by opportunist thieves. And (so I hope at least) these can be deterred easily by visible additional safety devices like Knackerschreck.

Best Regards,
Gerhard

P.S: Our attempted burglary happened before we bought the Knackerschreck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hello Gypsy Rose. windows(plastic)
I think it was in Pract' M'home that a solution was given to prevent the insertion of a tool to prise open the catches --so easlily done --why bother with doors.

It consisted of two lengths of aluminium U shelf support (the sort you insert the shelf brackets into) attached opposing each other and interlocking, to the window and M'home body respectively. Using the newish body filler /adhesive
type stuff to attach each piece, so no drilling.

I'll try and find the relevent article as it gives other good window tips too and post it.

Hope you can decypher the above

Bramley

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi all

the way that we were robbed in france wa, the crooks cut the seal around the drivers side quarterlight and removed the whole window and then cut through the webbing strap we had between the doors
we were in the van at the time

Paul

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot to think about here and thanks to all. What I really want is a multilingual notice to stick up outside " Don't rob us; no gizmos or money inside "

We usually leave the screens on the van windscreen so the Knackerschreck
device will not be a visual deterrant but it looks like a good idea to keep the front doors secure when we leave the van. There is a Fiamma Safe Pack that looks to be the same idea but belts only and so presumably easier to cut.

The Fiamma security Pro door bar looks like a good idea too but the weakest link there is the attachment to the van- surely they can be levered off without too much hassle but a lot of damage ?

We'd like to see the PMC details of the window security device please when you can dig it out Bramley. As you say, the windows are a weak link.

Perhaps, with Pusser's wooden wedge inside and the other things in place we will put the ladder up to the roof vent and leave the van by the roof ? :lol:

G.

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PS We are not too worried about security when we are in the van. It's only tiny and we are unlikely to miss someone breaking in. We do have the windows and doors alarmed separately so the alarm (s) should wake us up. They certainly brought the neighbours out when we tried them out.

G

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello again Grizzly . Sorry, but after exhaustive search through my PMH mags I just cannot locate the article . Must have took it down to the local Doc's surgery last time I had a clear out .
Not to worry though I have thrown together an outline sketch of the mechanics of the thing that should give a clearer idea of what I am rabbiting on about.
(just hope it uploads OK --had one failure already)
I haven't actually fitted this to my MH but have looked at the feasabilty of it and I reckon its a GOER . The Silkaleen adhesive I mention is the stuff that has just been released in consumer quantities ---as opposed to TRADE; there is a number after the Silkaleen (121?)but I'm not sure of that. I've seen it referred to in the FORUM somewhere. ---Here goes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Glad you like hte idea.
Make sure the depth between the window and van wall is sufficient to allow full closure onto the seals . on mine its fine , other wise a bit of grinding down may have to take place.
I've redone the attachment with thicker lines to make it clearer.

happy D I Y ing ??????????????

BB

·
Registered
28 Posts
thanks for that Phylyman, I can now smooth my brow and stop searching.

If you have the Mag still perhaps you could post the design if it gives more information and guidance than mine.
If I recall there is also a solution for locking the catches in place --a bit H-R
but it looked as if it may work .

Regards.
BB

·
Registered
72 Posts
Reference window security.
Having read the MMM Jan 05 article I have been puzzling how to adapt to my Autocruise.
Some vans and particularly caravan have push button window catches to stop them being turned easily.Having seached everywhere without succes to see if there were direct replacements available I came up with the follow and submit it for your comments
Get one 18mm cup hook, if poss. plastic covered and with a collar.
Drill a hole of slightly smaller diameter into the the turn catch( remove catch from window to do this) reefit turn catch into closed position insert drill and drill through first part of window frame catch.Then scew in cup hook until point goes into the second hole you drilled ,The catch cannot now be operated and also not easily from the outside without damage.To open window undo cuphook a few turns allowing the lever catch to turn.
see enclosed photo
Regards
John.

The early bird maycatch the worm ,but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.