Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Northern Germany at the moment and just about to leave for the area around the Somme Arras or Amiens area

My husband has breathing difficulties and cant walk far.

Can anyone recommend a campsite or two which are reasonably central and suitable for a Swift Kontiki 645 (7.45m length)

Also, can we park easily around the major cemeteries.

We need to get to Louvencourt to visit a particular grave. Is it easy to park around there. I am sure one of you guys will know

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Wills and Co

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Hi folks, parking in Arras is no problem at all, it would be easier to park near the Bus station and take a tour bus to the war graves, we did an organized trip with a local tour operator years ago, never understood a word on the way to the graves, but all becomes apparent upon arrival!

regards M&D :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hello Willsandco
If you go to downloads and click on "Articles" there is a three part tour/information on the Somme area, part one "The Introduction" also lists some campsites around Albert which is the central point for touring the Somme battlefields. Arras is a bit far up the road for touring the Somme area.
Hope this will be of help.
Regards Eddie.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hello Willsandco
If I'd have read your original mail properly in the first place I could have got the last three posts on one mailing.
Regarding your query about parking at cemeteries, all but the smallest have a parking area outside the gate, the larger ones have car parks you will have no problem getting right up to the gate.
There is only one British Cemetery at Louvencourt, "Louvencourt Military Cemetery" it is at the junction at the south end of the village on the D938, it will be signposted. It is well back from the 1916 battle area.
This cemetery was started by the French in 1915 and then taken over by the British in August that year complete with 75 French graves. It was used by the British until 1916 when the front line was to far forward for it to be practical. However it was used again in 1918 after the German spring offensive.
After the war this was one of the three "Trial" cemeteries used to try out variuos designs for for permanant construction. The French also participated in the trial and you will see French headstone here that are seen nowhere else. They proved to be to expensive and they reverted to the simple cross.
I have more information on this cemetery, a bit to much to put in a posting, if you think it will be of use to you E Mail me off line and I get it all to you.
Regards Eddie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.