Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into the differing satelite systems available it appears I can spend upwards of £80.00 on a system, but what are the differences between the differing systems?

Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
gibbo said:
Looking into the differing satelite systems available it appears I can spend upwards of £80.00 on a system, but what are the differences between the differing systems?

Thanks for your responses.
You get what you pay for

Camos @ £1000 plus are fantastic almost all over Europe

·
Premium Member
31,731 Posts
We went for a 40" Camos Dome and its fantastic. Park up, switch it on, watch tele. The best thing about the dome is that it works in all conditions. Traditional dishes have to be lowered if it gets windy. Cost around £1500 fitted. Used LeisureTech in Clitheroe Lancs. They are excellent.

Loads of posts and debates on here which is how I chose mine

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
I'm sure this question has been asked before within the last year! Suggest you read the posts in this forum for the many views but the critical thing is the size of the dish. A 60cm dish will give you good reception as far down as the south of France and Barcelona but any further south you will need a bigger dish, as large as 2 metres in some areas which is not very portable! The next thing you need is a mount to put the dish on and a means of pointing it at the satellite you want which can be tricky if you opt for a manual solution but with practice it gets easier. A dish and LNB costs of the order of £30/40 and a simple tripod mount cost about £50 or you can buy a smaller dish and complete portable manual kit for £70/80. Ignoring the cost of a receiver, beyond this, the cost for no picture improvement, is all in the convenience of making setting up of a dish and pointing it in the right direction easier and there are a variety of solutions and systems to do this.

The price of convenience all depends on how deep your pockets are and finally will it fit on your van?

Search the forums for the many views

peedee

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Spot on Peedee. It's the ease and convenience that costs the money.

In my opinion the Maxview Crankup (66cm) dish is just about the best compromise between spending a fortune, or kicking the bloody thing over the hedge after two hours of twiddling in the horizontal rain!!

I can get a lock on Astra2 in less than a minute - and any brief twiddling is done inside in the warm and dry. :D :D

Dave

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Ditto what Zebedee said.

And remember that no amount of deep pocket-systems will help you if there's a tree in the way. Was at a site a couple of days ago where I got a perfect picture via Maxview crankup and nearby Hymer had to give up with automated system that cost a thousand more...difference being I had line of sight and they were parked next to a line of trees. I guess at least with an automated system it'll tell you definitively you're onto a loser, versus with a manual on that pitch I'd have been cursing and swearing while trying to locate a signal for half an hour....

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Rosbotham said:
I'd have been cursing and swearing while trying to locate a signal for half an hour....
Ah.... but at least with a tripod mount you can move it to get line of site.

peedee

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Oh, agree....I just worry too much about it being kicked over. Or brats running in front of it just as a try is about to be scored. Plus I also need to find somewhere to keep the dish when in transit etc.

Horses for courses...there isn't a right answer. With unlimited funds I'd definitely go for an automated system. One day...

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Maxview

Zebedee said:
Spot on Peedee. It's the ease and convenience that costs the money.

In my opinion the Maxview Crankup (66cm) dish is just about the best compromise between spending a fortune, or kicking the bloody thing over the hedge after two hours of twiddling in the horizontal rain!!

I can get a lock on Astra2 in less than a minute - and any brief twiddling is done inside in the warm and dry. :D :D

Dave
I will Second that yet again!

Click Here for more info<Click

We have one we bought from Shane at SnellyVision. Highly Recomend the System and Shane for his support. Suggest if you need any help you give him a call on
(01472) 258620.

I would also recomend the DreamBox or Eagle as you can use its very easy to use, fast satfind function.

We have Had a signal from Bergen to Barcelona, no Problems.

Trev.

·
Registered
160 Posts
As said previously, you pay your money and take your choice based on all the relative pros and cons.

I went for a 40cm Camos dome with Pace Javelin 12v Sky receiver - it has not put a foot wrong wrong so far.

Being able to use it in all weathers and not having to be concerned about physically putting the dish down (either manually or if there is a fault with an exposed auto dish) sold it to me. It also has a farely small footprint requirement on the roof.

That said, it is not cheap at circa £1500 when compared to manual options....

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I have an aldi system (bought as a backup) for sale - pm me if you are interested

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Rosbotham said:
Oh, agree....I just worry too much about it being kicked over. Or brats running in front of it just as a try is about to be scored. Plus I also need to find somewhere to keep the dish when in transit etc.

Horses for courses...there isn't a right answer. With unlimited funds I'd definitely go for an automated system. One day...
You just have to anchor it down properly and for windy conditions you can actually stabilise it using guy ropes. I use a tripod and an 85 cm dish but only carry it around when on the continent. I just use a bungy or two to stow it on the roof bars. Must admit have been looking at the crank ups but I really do not bother too much about telle, certainly not Sky, and terrestial is fine in this country and will only get better as cut over to digital becomes more widespread.

peedee

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.