Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

We are on our way to buying a 2.8td 2006 Peugot Boxer to go orf full timing. Plan is to drive Europe and the U.K. I understand there are basic spares required for Europe i.e. spare bulbs etc.

But what other spares should I consider taking?

All suggestions gratefully received.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I always take a spare diesel fuel filter in case I get a dirty lot of diesel when away somewhere. I have to confess I have never had to use it, but better safe than sorry. Back in about 1985 when we were camping behind the Iron Curtain (at Lake Balaton in Hungary) I nearly filled my new company car ( a Peugeot 405 d) with diesel from the wrong pump but a sharp eyed and knowledgable German lady ran up and grabbed my arm just as I was going to press the pump trigger, and explained that the really cheap diesel I was about to fill with was designed for "Russian Truck" type commercial engines and would knacker mine (or words to that effect !). Since then I carry a spare filter. I also carry a tow rope.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
there are basic spares required for Europe i.e. spare bulbs etc.
gibbo, if that is your knowledge so far off going "orf full timing" I would suggest with respect you do a LOT more research into your desires before you even attempt to head orf into the wide blue yonder.

Do a search on full timing on this site and get all your information in place before you set orf.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Hi.

You need to take a very comprehensive tool kit as a lot of silly things do tend to fall off or just stop working. In the 3 years we have been fulltiming we have come across some very silly people who have not got a clue how to fix anything, and have been ripped off paying for silly jobs to be done.

steve & ann. ----------- teensvan

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whistlinggypsy said:
there are basic spares required for Europe i.e. spare bulbs etc.
gibbo, if that is your knowledge so far off going "orf full timing" I would suggest with respect you do a LOT more research into your desires before you even attempt to head orf into the wide blue yonder.

Do a search on full timing on this site and get all your information in place before you set orf.
I've been checking the site fer a while now and you are right whistlinggypsy, there's an awful lot of info available. But, when a question comes to mind, I have to ask it. Sometimes it confirms wot I thought and other times sets me off on another line of thought.

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,632 Posts
Gibbo,

You do your own research, the way which is best for you as we all learn in different ways, otherwise we would all be lawyers.

Learn as much as possible about how things are put together, and how they are supposed to work, then when something works, you have half a chance of mending it yourself.

I always take, a comprehensive set of screwdrivers, pliers, spanners, bits of wire, a few screws (self tappers) fuse holders, fuses of all sizes, glass and blade types, I don't carry any bulbs, but should get some, any automotive odds and ends you'd have at home (just in case) I have yet to need professional help when away, (yet).

If you are rubbish at DIY, just take spare parts and a couple of screwdrivers, (to change bulbs) because if you're not too good with your hands you could do more harm than good.

Kev.

PS if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
spindrifter said:
I always have a roll of Gaffer Tape on board - indispensable.

Cheers

David
Did you know that gaffer tape is the equivalent of 'the force' in Star Wars?

It has a dark side and a light side and holds the universe together :lol:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Don't know the vehicle in question gibbo but check the jack and wheel nut spanner thing (too early on a Sunday to remember the proper name - 'wrench'?) as they are often inadequate and one of your most likely journey stoppers is a puncture. I carry one of those four-ended wrenches which enables lots of force to be exerted to get the wheel nuts off. I think its called a spider wrench and isn't expensive from Halfords. You may also feel like investing in a better jack if the one provided is pathetic. You may have to jack up in difficult circumstances, uneven ground etc., and that's when standard jacks often let you down. Apologies to Pug if their kit is good :)

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Spare parts

Hi Gibbo

I fulltime and whilst in the UK at present, I do have some spares on board.

For the Fiat side, I have various bulbs, some radiator fluid, fuses and some windscreen wiper blades.

In the habitation side I have, lots of bulbs, a couple of spare light fittings (reading lamps), a water pump, fuses, instruction manuals, gaffer tape, thick polythene sheeting, some water proof strip stuff, gas hoses that run from the cylinder to the regulator, a sink waste trap and so on.

I carry the sink trap because.....on the Burtster I borrowed last year, the sink trap simply corroded. I was three days without a kitchen sink.

Water pump - I had an expansion tank burst in Italy.

Plastic sheet and tape - never had to use it but it could save a ruined trip.

Gas hoses - I had leaks in Italy.

I am not the most clued up in respect of technical stuff, but I think I could fit a water pump or a gas hose. I will add that since I have had the spares on board, they have not been needed. Let's hope it stays that way.

Russell

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
A selection of jubilee clips and don't forget if you need a bigger one than you have you can join two together!

Turbo hose clip broke on ours in France a while back and wire and para cord were just not up to the job, since then we keep a selection on board.

Rob.

·
Registered
270 Posts
This is a good thread, it should be book-marked,(probably is, I'm not computer minded). Every-ones got something that they've though of.
Here's something, I always carry 2 pieces of wood approx 9" x 9"x1.3/4"(each end of a scaffold board actually, they're metal bound) just in case I have to change a tyre, if it's good ground, then the jack doesn't have to go so high, and ,if (as is usual), when you pull off the road it's soft, you've a good base for the jack.
Come on everybody, especially you long termers, give us some ideas.
arh.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Not read above - but on long trips we take:-

Tools, torque wrench etc
Gaffa tape
Fuses in every size known to man
Sealant, silkaflex 512, sealant gun
Electrical cable
electrical block (various sizes)
spare split charge relay
multi meter

Most stuff you can buy - so the above is for emergencies and maintenance

·
Registered
115 Posts
For info - you are not legally allowed to tow in Spain. A breakdown truck must transport you to wherever - usually nearest garage. Recovery in the event of a breakdown is included in all vehicle insurance policies here (apart from the nod, nod, wink, wink policies sold on the costas to expats not wanting to import their UK reg cars). The country is full of such illegal cars. In the evnt of a serious accident, they have no 'real' cover.

Re the original posting: We always made sure we had a full 5 ltr bottle of fresh water, just in case!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi there.
Many more learned and experienced M/Hers will give good advice, but for what its worth, I have listed items that I now carry, having had to use them all at one time or another to get me and some times others out of the kaka.

Tow Chain (not a rope, think 4 tons!)
Ratcheting tie downs
Bungees
Small 240v battery charger
Heavy duty jump leads
Tempory Fuel filler cap
2m gas hose and spare regulator
1m 10mm copper pipe and assorted compression fittings
4mt 1/4 inside diameter reinforced plastic hose and jubilee clips
12v submersible water pump
2 and 3 core electric cable
Reasonable selection of spanners 8mm to 24mm including socket set
Hacksaw
Selection of flat and phillips screwdrivers
Small hand drill and drills 2mm to 10mm
Small 240v soldering iron and solder
Multimeter
Small screw clamp based engineering vice
Selection of nuts and bolts M6 to M12
WD 40
Small glass fibre repair kit
And yes GAFFER TAPE

I suppose to some this may seem excessive but as a good friend of mine once said " why do your trips end up as adventures ?" need I say more!

Best regards
Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.