Motorhome Facts Forum banner

would love one of these .

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
hi guys

just been browsing some of the american rv's on ebay and we totally love the look and fitments in most of these motors .
the prices are excellent for some of these machines presumabally due to poor mpg and being left hand drive .
does anybody know roughly the mpg you can get from lpg in one of these things ? and the diesel mpg ?
and has anybody ever tackled a conversion to rhd ?
its a project i would really like to try as i do a lot of vehicle mods and kit car builds so it would be as much a hobby . i think i could easily do most stuff required with the biggest problem coming from the steering rack set up i think . i have no problems doing the work but im weak on the knowledge of legality does anyone know the legal side of such a conversion ?
cheers
kenny+stella. :?:

G
#2 ·
Why would you want to convert to RHD. If you have something that big everything would keep out of your way!! I dream of a large American job but the running costs and upkeep would be way beyond my means so I am extremely content with my much more modest motorhome
Ian

#3 ·
Hi Kenny

Strange thing, but driving in Europe last year, I expected being in a RHD Iveco would be a disadvantage or Arkward especially with driving on the Right, in reality neither is a problem.

Personally, I would leave steering alone.

George

#4 ·
MPG will depend on your engine, how heavy etc but could be quite low --- 10... 12 or so maybe on a heavy diesel.... Fuel economy isn't the reason to get one - some are built on truck/coach chasssis.
I would suggest that the conversion would be a very serious job - not just the steering but all the instrumentation/controls/fittings built around the driver... and may even make the vehicle less attractive for future resale for two reasons - going to mainland Europe you'd want LHD (and it really isn't so hard to drive it in the UK) and the DIY nature of the conversion - however good - might put some off.
But good luck whatever you decide, and if you do "go American" you should get excellent equipment as you rightly note!

#5 ·
hi guys
having never driven lhd it does bother me a bit but maybe once i try it may not be the problem i think it is .
i suppose its a comfort thing .
i still think i could source the necesary parts to convert if i choose the right base vehicle .
im assuming theres no legality issues here then if i use same base vehicle parts ?
thanks for the replys .
kenny+stella

#6 ·
Ive had a 6.5 diesel chevy based coach which averaged 13 mpg over about 25k miles and I now have an 8.1 petrol on a workhorse chassis which averages arond 10mpg, you will get more if you drive around 50mph but with 8 litres under the bonnet the coach is raring to go and cruises beautifully at 60 ish. LHD is not problem and on some narrow UK roads it is a positive advantage as it is easier to hug the kerb and keep your offside mirror intact!

#7 ·
becky said:
Ive had a 6.5 diesel chevy based coach which averaged 13 mpg over about 25k miles and I now have an 8.1 petrol on a workhorse chassis which averages arond 10mpg, you will get more if you drive around 50mph but with 8 litres under the bonnet the coach is raring to go and cruises beautifully at 60 ish. LHD is not problem and on some narrow UK roads it is a positive advantage as it is easier to hug the kerb and keep your offside mirror intact!
I'd have to get an overdraft just to reverse it into the street 8O

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.