Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my Duccato 2.3 (2007) remapped at the peterborough show. It certainly feels different. Also before remap I was avaraging 21.5mpg and now on a 100 mile run I am getting 28mpg which is very good, however I noticed that when changing up and down gears whilst looking in my mirror saw black smoke coming out of the exhaust. Not loads but enought to be concerned. Is this anything worry about?

Alan and Jean

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I've just had the "Power " re-map done even though I'm looking for better fuel consumption. I don't know if it's worked or not as the van is still on the drive where it was done the other day. I will be taking it to Camper UK on Thursday for a service so I may see a difference then even though it's ony 20 miles away.
The "Power " re-mapping was the suggested one as the engine is the 2.3 but the van weighs 4 tonne in Spanish mode.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Had ours done at the NEC show. We went for the power map. Big difference in performance. I was a little concerned when the clutch burned out 2 weeks later. But it was not connected. I would recommend it.

Stewart

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Thoroughly recommended. I would have every diesel engine remapped - mine simply flies up hills in top even when towing the boat..... Economy over 3000 miles improved by about 2 mpg

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I've got to say that we never did this for the economics but simply for the greater ease of driving. Any fuel economy gain is a bonus - mine went from 25.2 to 27.4 so it might pay for itself in a few hundred years........

·
Registered
482 Posts
a bit of smoke is one of the side effects of a re-map. remapping for power will have an effect on mpg.

i had my vw t4 re-mapped after i fitted larger injector nozzles, i went from around 400 miles to a tank to 500 to a tank, with out taking it too steady. it's well worth doing if your vehicle is compatible.

unfortunately my new (to me) t4 is too old! :cry:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Re-mapping

Hello all,

I don't suppose there's a way to know if a vehicle has already had it done?

My 2.3jTd Ducatto MH drives 'well'; more responsive I'd say, than my MB Vito 109 (which has a smaller engine, and a few less hp, but after all is little bigger than a people-carrier).

Since I've had this MH from new, I don't know if the first owner might have done it, and I don't suppose a re-mapper would connect it up; then say:
"Ah, no need; this one's already done." -and not charge!

Anyone got any ideas?

I suppose trying to contact the previous owner would be best:

-so here goes; is 'Robert Booth from Bradford' on the forum ???

·
Registered
31 Posts
An economy re map is ideal for units under 7.5 meters and not towing anything. Any larger or towing I think the performance re map would be best. Bear in mind even the economy re map will increase performance!

I would imagine that any WOW! Tuning dealer would not charge if the map on the vehicle could not be improved.

I think WOW! offer a 30 day free trial at most shows as well?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't suppose there's a way to know if a vehicle has already had it done?

If you are at a show that i am present i will gladly read your map and show you the image to see if it is already modified.
As for a power and economy remap they are much the same,you get 3 benefits remapping
more torque
more power
improved mpg
The difference is in the modification tune,some are generic and therefore not very expensive and for a bespoke inhouse mod tuned speciffically for the vehicle you pay a little more.
We offer both at the shows,a budget price remap to compete with othe tuning companies present and our own bespoke modification for the person who wants that little bit extra.

·
Registered
253 Posts
re-mapping

OK, so it sounds fairly unanimous about the benefits to be had:

But, being slightly biased towards the cynical persuasion, I'm finding it hard to believe that all this is available without any kind of 'trade off'; such as worse emissions? / stress to components (engine gubbins) etc.?

...and if there really is no 'down-side', then why don't manufacturers turn their vehicles out mapped in this way; since the statistics that sell vehicles (hp, torque, mpg 0-60) would be better.

Something about it just seems too good to be true (apart from the cost!).

Also, has anyone seen fit to actually notified their insurer, and if so; any premium penalty?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
These engines are built to cover all eventualities and so there is always a "bit of spare" available and the remap exploits this. Boosters will no doubt give a better explanation but basically the standard engine is the lowest common denominator.....

over to you, boosters!

Cheers (happily remapped and loving it)

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I have ran remapped cars for many thosants of miles with no problems. They are far better to drive as well.

Has anyone had a 3.0 160 Remapped? I wouldnt mind our doing but want to wait untill it has a few more miles on it.

Richard...

·
Registered
75 Posts
pete4x4 said:
Just wondering how much your insurance increased for an engine performance mod?
Told our insurers (Caravan Club) about the power increase and, after a brief chat to the underwriters said there would be no increase in premium but, the insurance would not cover the cost of the upgrade if it was damaged or stolen.

I guess they are happy about underwriting the extra power at no extra cost because the average motorhome driver just wants to utilise the better driveability and isn't a 'boy racer' :lol:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.