Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just written up a blog on our trip to Portugal, and I have to say it looks awful. All the formatting, such as headings, paragraphs and line spacing has simply disappeared when saved.

Also there are no buttons for adding photos, yet other blogs have photos included.

Can anyone tell me how to format my blog so it looks better and is readable, and also how to add photos?

Looking forward to some help.

Dunworkin

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I had the same problem last week, asked for a little help but nobody came to my rescue, can't have a big block of offputting text. Didn't even try to put pics on it. So a Ladybird guide to making a 'nice blog' please somebody??

Ca

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Ca,

I am presently doing a blog on our Portugal trip. I am not an expert, but all I am doing is writing it up on Microsoft Works Word Processor, and saving it. I then paste it on to the blog site, and submit. Sorry, I can not be anymore helpful, but as I said I am not an experet. Please let me know,if u require any more info.

Jim

·
Registered
179 Posts
If one does a "View Source" one will notice that your text does retain some text file paragraph spacing.

This lends me to thinking that you may have typed it up with Wordpad/Notepad and pasted it into the blogger.

Browsers will ignore text file paragraph formatting; it needs html formatting.

If you can edit the text, try inserting html paragraph codes(

) where appropriate or, alternatively, rewrite the text directly into the blogger application.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Lazyrover,

I did cut and paste the whole thing into the blog. I've been through it and put a few paragraph markers in, so it looks a lot better.

Now I just need to add a few photos???

Dunworkin

·
Registered
179 Posts
Once again you can edit the text and insert appropriate HTML tags.

The tag you need is the IMG tag.

Try this,

Upload your photos to the database.
Right click on the image and "Copy Image Location"
It should give you something like

"http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules/gallery2/d/87295-2/Lock_at_Wolveley.jpg"

Paste it into your text where you want it to appear.

Now prefix it with

so that it looks like this

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again LazyRover.

Will try as you suggest.

Why doesn't my blog edit page have all the buttons at the top to allow links, images and videos to be inserted, like the Forum edit page does?

Dunworkin

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just looked at creating a blog entry.

The only thing I saw was this

"Wrap paragraphs in

and

tags. HTML is Allowed.".

I can only presume therefore that it's up to each person to learn the HTML they need to make their blogs all singin' and dancing :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cracked it....well, sort of.

To add photos, first of all resize the photos you wish to upload. I made mine 320 x 240 pixels.

Then on this site click on "Resources", then "Motorhome Photos". Click on your photos and upload your photos.

Once you have a photo you wish to insert in your blog view it in your album.
Click on "Item Actions", "Get Item URL", then highlight and copy the URL marked "Show Image Directly"

Now go to your blog and into the Edit page. Select where you want the photo to go and paste.

You should then have your photo more or less where you want it.

All I've got to do now is figure out how to put some headlines in.

All in all, it's bloody difficult to use compared with proper blogging sites.

Dunworkin

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Geoff,

I've done a bit more research this morning and found that the blog site only supports Internet Explorer.
I've just checked this out and the editing buttons appear when I use IE8 but not when using either Firefox, as I had been doing, or Google Chrome.

Will now see what more I can do to my entry.

Dunworkin

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've just posted my first MHF blog entry and, yes, I'm sure I could benefit from some help too. I'm entirely new to blogging so when other blogging sites are mentioned I've no idea at all where or what these are. I did sign on to MySpace once, setting up an account, but never used it though I sometimes still get e-mails, usually from someone purporting to be Fiona or Melissa or similar and offering me all sorts of delights in exchange for my bank details or a few hundred quid! :roll:

So first off it might be helpful if someone could point me at some sites so I can have an alternative. I want to post a diary of a 3 month tour in Europe and I think I can make this interesting by including some site reviews, experiences etc (yes the site reviews will also find their way into the MHF database of course). I also want to do this so my family and friends can track our progress and adventures - they have asked if I can do this.

My first entry describes the plan for the tour and came out more or less OK with a couple of clear exceptions. It may be worth mentioning that I have IE7 as my browser. I did not prepare the entry in another program such as Word to paste it in, but typed it directly into the Blog editor. This had a toolbar at the top allowing some formatting (bold, italic, indentation, bulleting, numbered list) and some insertion (URLs, images etc). Beneath this is an instruction to enclose paragraphs between HTML tags

and

. So of course I did! But I also did a RETURN between each para.

What do you know - there are all my

s and

s in plain text for everyone to see. So why the instruction???

I guess I just leave out all those

s and

s next time, do I?

I also tried an indented section (not a bulleted or numbered list, just an indented series of paragraphs, each again with the

and

tags but all of them supposedly indented. Well they are not indented in the output. So why the indent button on the toolbar?

I didn't do anything as daring as trying to put in a photo. But this thread so far has completely confused me over that. Lots of stuff about uploading images to a database (where?, how?). If there is a button saying Insert Image, can't I just use that? But what happens when I click it? Does it present me with a standard Windows file browser or is the image file to be inserted expected to be in a particular location.

Whoever posted the advice about the preferred image size in pixels, heartfelt thanks! At least that's clear!

I must agree with whoever said that the MHF blog facility is far from friendly. No preview, no spellcheck, no edit, limited instructions and misleading ones where they exist!

I'm not a complete IT idiot - I used to work in it, but my knowledge is a bit dated and I don't speak HTML (and I don't much want to learn it).

Looking round the blog entries there are clearly folk out there who have cracked this and can create clear, fairly good-looking entries with no silles in them. Please can one or two of you more expert bloggers help out we newbies by posting on here? And if you can/do, please be gentle in terms of concepts or terms we might not understand.

Roger

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Roger,

Looks like you are going through the same process I did a few weeks ago. I discovered the blog site much easier to use once I switched to Internet Explorer. Previously I'd been using Firefox for which there was no funtionality.

My first attempts were pretty poor, but did improve after a bit of fiddling, see My travel blog

Sallytrafic is the one who seems to have got this down to a fine art so maybe he can provide some guidance.....please.

As for keeping the family in touch, whilst we were away, I wasn't sure if they could access the MHF site without being members, so I posted a blog on Google, which is free and easy to use.
This came out like this

The other place you could look is Facebook, as lots of the youngsters seem to have accounts. Must say though that I took one look at it and decided against as it asked too many questions when I was signing up. Whatever you do have a good trip.

Dunworkin

·
Registered
18,012 Posts
Hi

Sorry, I didn't see this before. The blog section is a 'bolt-on' to the forum, much as the photo album is, and several other pieces. This means it could have been written by someone other than the forum software writers, but modified to 'work with' the forum software.

I tend to use Wordpress >> LINK << for all of my blogs. You can use the link above to create a blog hosted by Wordpress, or you can get your own webspace and upload the Wordpress software to it. The latter is how I do it. Posting blog entries is easy, and you have a variety of templates to use which allows you to change the way it looks simply and quickly, without losing or changing any of your blog posts.

We have one blog for us http://www.geraldandannie.com/ and others sitting behind it for various purposes, e.g. >> Loft conversion blog <<. Most of it is only of interest to us, but it's easier than keeping a diary. Both / all blogs need updating :oops:

Gerald

·
Registered
311 Posts
Dunworkin said:
Hi Roger,

Looks like you are going through the same process I did a few weeks ago...

Dunworkin
Yes I think I am. I also realised that there are earlier threads on the topic and much good stuff from Frank, though I think that the blogging facility has been updated and improved since much of that was written, especially if you are using IE7 or 8.

Your blogs (the MHF and Google ones) are very good! :D

At least I've now realised a few more things like there is an edit facility and you can change the public/private status of an entry. At least I've now got rid of my visible HTML paragraph tags! The text formatting looks OK in fact so I've got the picture thing to crack. I've managed to start an album (been on MHF over a year and never explored any of this!) -just one picture in it. I browsed to this in a normal Windows folder and it uploaded without problems - automatically resized to 640x427 from original size of 3888 x 2592 (taken on an EOS40D!); this is probably still a bit big for inserting in a blog - do you know how I can resize it in the album before I import it into a blog entry by any chance? Oh and it still takes up 7.4MB in the album! 8O

Your point about family access and MHF membership is a good one. The Google facility looks promising. I rather thank it might have been Facebook that I tried before that got me the interesting mails from Fiona and Melissa! 8O I always get Facebook and MySpace mixed up and I haven't actively used either. The daughter of a friend of mine has a stunning site on Facebook (I think) but she is stunning herself and wants to be a rock star. I'm not stunning (any more, he says modestly) and I don't expect rock stardom (or any other sort) any time soon. :wink:

Thanks for the reply and if you can help any further on the photo question I'd appreciate it.

Roger

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
I can't add much to what has gone before I use Safari and have to put all the html in by hand.

I think its much easier to enter photos if you have them in an MHF album because the facility exists to get the actual html code directly from the album.

You can get the code already formatted for the; direct image, a link to the photo page or a clickable thumbnail. In the same place you can get all of that for bbcode as well which is handy for the forum threads.

I export my photos directly from iPhoto (a mac app) at small size 320*240 (but high quality) which means I can display two or three across my blog pages.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Oh as an afterthought the bitc of code that I find most useful is

put all your photos in here that you want in a single row

and

Link to part nnn

My latest blog starts here >click< . Some of my earlier blogs use bulkier code to achieve more or less the same thing, see all my blogs by clicking the blog button below.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.