Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm correct in saying that Autosleeper are the only UK converter who uses both Ford and X250 chassis.

Given that lots of MHFers have strenuously voiced a strong preference for steering clear of X250 based vans I wonder why we see so few Tranny based Autosleepers compared to their equivalent Peugeot based stablemates?

I assumed it must be something like a substantial price premium on Fords but judge for yourself.

I realise that some interior details and specs are slightly different but a standard 100PS Nuevo (Peugeot) lists at £39,600 and a standard 100PS Eton (Ford) lists at £40,000. Surely you wouldn't take on all the potential X250 issues to save £400, have a free integral awning and a swing wall shower? Besides the Tranny 'office' is streets ahead of the Pug. There are some other slight differences. The Eton is 5ins longer and 5ins taller whereas the Pug 4ins wider externally.

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of people who bought either and the what that informed their decision.

Of course there are other Ford/X250 'matches' within the Autosleeper range but I'm not quite that much of an anorak to go researching them all.

SDA

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Interesting post Andy but not many replies. Spending alot of time looking around at various models and my preferences are drifting towards the Auto-Sleepers range, basically because in my humble opinion they appear to be of a better built, in the price range I am considering. I still like the Sandhurst but I am beginning to feel that they are on the way out, that VW cab looks really neat though.
The Ford chassis motorhomes just don't look right to me whereas the X250 looks good but once bitten ~~~~
Talking to a Timberland technical guy at Peterborough two weeks ago and he said that a new Renault Master was in the offing, now that is one chassis I look forward to, I shall watch this thread with interest,
Regards,
Norman

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tucano said:
Interesting post Andy but not many replies. Spending alot of time looking around at various models and my preferences are drifting towards the Auto-Sleepers range, basically because in my humble opinion they appear to be of a better built, in the price range I am considering. I still like the Sandhurst but I am beginning to feel that they are on the way out, that VW cab looks really neat though.
The Ford chassis motorhomes just don't look right to me whereas the X250 looks good but once bitten ~~~~
Talking to a Timberland technical guy at Peterborough two weeks ago and he said that a new Renault Master was in the offing, now that is one chassis I look forward to, I shall watch this thread with interest,
Regards,
Norman
Hi Norman good to hear from you. Are you still screwing those birds together at Linton?

Had a couple fly over again late last week, inbound, wheels down, quite high, engine going normal revs but airspeed very slow. Do they all have to do a flight with wheels down to simulate undercarriage failure or something?

I believe there is a new Renault in the offing which will presumably mean a new Vauxhall and Nissan as well. Jeesh what a weird world we live in when brands all have me-to vans that are basically the same. S'pose Fiat get hold of Vauxhall, presumably we'd get a X250 Movano as well as a Pug and a Citroen. Fair makes your mind spin.

I do like the Sandhurst as well, except for the shower which isn't designed for people like me with just the odd pound or two extra :wink:

The good thing is you can get a real, proper auto box on them as well, rather than the mickey mouse boxes that Fiat, Renault etc provide.

I've grown to accept the Ford Mk7 'face' although it's a radical change from the Mk 6 and the Ford cab is a dream. The Ford engines are great and the rest is Mk6 and well proven anyway.

From our point of view I just wish A/S would leave aside their fixation with either parallel front sofa or rear lounges. If they did a transverse rear bed with garage or twins with a rear bathroom and they'd be top of our list for next van. But they just keep churning out the same layouts with different chassis - Pug, Ford, Merc and VW.

Andy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well we've got an AS Windsor which is based on the Ford chassis and I feel it's streets ahead of the X250 options, both in looks and in driving. It was the RWD feature that really swung it for me though. We've had it since January and I've already got on and off two pitches that had the FWD vans struggling and getting stuck. I think that driving the front wheels with the majority of the weight over the rear wheels is asking for trouble :!:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Earlier this year we were looking to replace our 04 (pre X250) Nuevo. We like the layout and like the fact that AS have their own service centre who we have found to be very good. We probably would have got another Nuevo but were not prepared to risk spending all that money on a base vehicle that may have a problem. So we bought an Eton. It drives very nicely and we are very pleased. There ia a Ford van dealer not far away which is also handy. We also don't like the swing wall in the Nuevo as it precludes having a window in the bathroom whereas the Eton does (yes I know the circular shower is only so so but we generally use on site showers anyway). We are happy and are pleased that AS offer the option.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Hi i have a autosleeper wilton 2.4 turbo 6 speed and as we have at least 5 different makes of vans in our fleet and near 60 in total i went for the ford for the drive and relyability it cruises at 60/70 no problem .The stalling on take off i am used to as i drive one at work mainly and have learned not to go off on idle or it will stall as for the swing shower im 6ft 2in and have plenty of room and only but where i bought it its great a few niggly probs which i am sure autosleeper will sort out but on the hole great

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Andy, yes still screwing birds together at Linton and will probably stay there until I feel that I have had enough. Still looking for a new van as you are aware but without a nav/sit-nag to keep me company I can't really find the enthusiasm to buy.
Don't really know what the jockeys do in their flying training but undoubtably part of the syllabus will include the manoeuvres you describe seeing.
Trust you are both well, regards,
Norman

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know Norman if I were on me jacksie, sort of thing, I've sometimes thought that I'd probably go for a Topaz. VW base with a good autobox option, shower and loo and plenty of space for one plus good manouevrability and economy.

Mind I'd also consider going back to a Horizons van on a Tranny. The only reason we really got rid of it was because I got really p****d off converting the removable seat each night and morning. Mrs SDA's bed using the fixed rear seat was fine, push one button and it was flat. But that other rear seat was a real pain, specially when you'd had a glass or two of vino collapso and just wanted to crash out.

Take care and if you want a run out to poke around an Adria you know where we are.

Andy

·
Registered
27 Posts
We changed to the Windsor from a Horizons Cavarno 4 (mainly because my 11 yo daughter had outgrown the top bunk). We loved it to bits (the only real niggles were having to convert the bunks as SDA mentioned and that it was FWD). I would go back to one too, I quite fancy the 4WD option :D

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
beachguild said:
We changed to the Windsor from a Horizons Cavarno 4 (mainly because my 11 yo daughter had outgrown the top bunk). We loved it to bits (the only real niggles were having to convert the bunks as SDA mentioned and that it was FWD). I would go back to one too, I quite fancy the 4WD option :D
Hi Dave,

Reckon we ought to set up a Horizons Appreciation Society :lol: it would be a fairly select group.

We lloked at the Windsor as an option but with two beardies needing transporting in a crate and a puppy pen and grooming trolley to cart round there just wasn't the storage space. Shame.

Andy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.