Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the best one so far - not "a la carte", but "a la Kontiki". I made the batter yesterday, used the oldest tin I had and used gas mark 6 in the motorhome oven.

Jenny added her approval. Served with braised steak, onions, mushrooms, cabbage and curly kale, carrots and spuds. Yum.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
That is so good. I just bought a bit of beef from Tescos that has been matured (probably left out) for 28 days. I really do need your Yorkshire.

But as that is unlikely you will post it to me, please post the recipe. That is the mother of all Yorkshires. Bootiful.

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
Very good Russell,I just showed the wife & she was impressed as well said yours is bigger than mine :!:

She's now locked in the cupboard under the stairs :evil: :lol:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Being Dutch, I try to do my best to bring a little hint of British cooking to the table and so I make the Yorkshire pud too. The only thing is that they stay flat and go crunchy and are now called Yorkshire biscuits :evil:

Roger ( the very annoyed better half 8O ) keeps on telling me that I have to buy Aunt Bessies but I am determined to put 1 of those pud's on the table.

Maddie :D

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
not bad russell, I find that if you mix the batter and leave for 20 minutes and then give a good beating before pouring into tray you get a better result.
The secret is getting th air into the mixture just prior to pouring itno the tray. Mrs p will agree that i make better y ps than she does.

Cheers
Dave P

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pudds

Carol

How very dare you! There'll be no free samples when we meet up!!!!!!

Russell

Pusser - four spoonsful of plain flour, bit of salt and pepper in a bowl. Crack and egg into a glass, and if it has not gone off, add to the flour mix. Meanwhile, in a jug, add an egg to some water and beat with a fork. Add this to the bowl and then mix the whole lot together. Leave over night.

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
Re: Pudds

Rapide561 said:
Carol

How very dare you! There'll be no free samples when we meet up!!!!!!

Russell

Pusser - four spoonsful of plain flour, bit of salt and pepper in a bowl. Crack and egg into a glass, and if it has not gone off, add to the flour mix. Meanwhile, in a jug, add an egg to some water and beat with a fork. Add this to the bowl and then mix the whole lot together. Leave over night.
Many thanks Russell. I will treasure that recipe that has been handed down over the hours. My lovely, expensive and huge bit of beef was a complete flop. We bought a fan over a while ago and seem to be overcooking everything we put in it. Plus the beef from Tescos very own cow resembled badger meat.

But I love veg and roast potatos and especially the gravy and could be happy with a plate of the above with Yorkshire pudding and no meat so not a complete failure. Anyway it was the missus that dried it out not me although I don't like to talk behind people's backs. :roll:

I do make excellent pancakes and also crepes with Grand Marnier (which means Big Marnies in French) 8) ) And leaving the mixture overnight is key. Trouble is remembering to do it the night before. :(

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Pusser, silly question really as am sure you are a good cook, but did you rest your beef for long enough??
(20mins in warm place).

The trouble with supermarket beef is it is not 'hung' for long enough, no matter what they tell you, its not treated kindly and is for the want of a better word a 'mass' produced item even if it is the 'best quality'.

I've given up even trying to get a good joint from supermarkets, and have reverted to buying from a real butcher...can recommend this, longhorn beef from lincoln.http://www.meridianmeatsshop.co.uk/

The fact you need a double mortgage to buy it is neither here nor there, its still cheaper than another set of teeth needed to chew the other stuff!

Yorkie looking good !

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
bouncer said:
Pusser, silly question really as am sure you are a good cook, but did you rest your beef for long enough??
(20mins in warm place).

The trouble with supermarket beef is it is not 'hung' for long enough, no matter what they tell you, its not treated kindly and is for the want of a better word a 'mass' produced item even if it is the 'best quality'.

I've given up even trying to get a good joint from supermarkets, and have reverted to buying from a real butcher...can recommend this, longhorn beef from lincoln.http://www.meridianmeatsshop.co.uk/

The fact you need a double mortgage to buy it is neither here nor there, its still cheaper than another set of teeth needed to chew the other stuff!

Yorkie looking good !
Thank you very much for your interest and if by resting means was it left after cooking for 20 mins then it was at least 15 mins. If this is something before cooking then no.

I love to go to a proper butchers but laziness gets me all the time. Tescos, a hop around the corner. Butchers the other side of town.

I wish the days when Sainsburys had two counters covered in marble and floors all tiled and saw dust sparingly sprinkled over it. At the far end all beautiful bits of meat hung on hooks or were layed out before you and on the other side sugar was sold loose and butter was smacked into shape with wooden paddles and individually wrapped.

Tea was scooped out of large casks into brown paper bags and Tescos two shops away was merely a tiny shop full of half opened cardboard boxes with tins and packets there for the self serving public. ( I thought that would never catch on). :(

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Yep, I'm with you on that one Pusser...although as I have matured have found far more fun things to do with a butter 'paddle'.

Can you remember the co op selling blocks of salt? The co op at Blyth Notts used to, its still there but I'm sure the goods have changed a great deal.....

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
Hi bouncer the co-op at Blyth was until the last few years known as the Farm shop owned by an old friend of mine. It was then purchased by a local businesman Mr Grocock, who sold it to the co op who have amalgamated the old post office.

Dave P

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Pusser said:
bouncer said:
(20mins in warm place).

Yorkie looking good !
Thank you very much for your interest and if by resting means was it left after cooking for 20 mins then it was at least 15 mins. If this is something before cooking then no.

I love to go to a proper butchers but laziness gets me all the time. Tescos, a hop around the corner. Butchers the other side of town.

I wish the days when Sainsburys had two counters covered in marble and floors all tiled and saw dust sparingly sprinkled over it. At the far end all beautiful bits of meat hung on hooks or were layed out before you and on the other side sugar was sold loose and butter was smacked into shape with wooden paddles and individually wrapped.

Tea was scooped out of large casks into brown paper bags and Tescos two shops away was merely a tiny shop full of half opened cardboard boxes with tins and packets there for the self serving public. ( I thought that would never catch on). :(
Pusser sweetie, if you have a fan oven you need to reduce the temperature and cooking time to compensate for it being better at distributing the heat. If a recipe says 190 degrees I usually drop the temp to about 180 and cook for around 10-15 mins less.

Sorry russ hunny couldn't resist!!

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
Thank you for help. When everyone except one advised me not to get a ceramic, I did :oops:

I have burnt more things on this that I did holes in my clothes through smoking.
I will take onboard advice and try and train the missus too. 8)

Can't remember blocks of salt although I don't like salt.

Off now to take family out for wifes birthday dinner so hopefully this is one meal we can enjoy. :D

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
Maddie, lovelly name , our old rough collie had the same.
Do not make your batter too thick.
Beat plenty of air into it before putting into trays.
Bobs your uncle should rise ok.
ps The best yorksire pudding i have, is the one i married 36 years ago.

OUCH111

Dave P

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
FAO Russell. Sorry to be a pain but tried to PM and it is not working today.

You said...

- four spoonsful of plain flour, bit of salt and pepper in a bowl. Crack and egg into a glass, and if it has not gone off, add to the flour mix. Meanwhile, in a jug, add an egg to some water and beat with a fork. Add this to the bowl and then mix the whole lot together. Leave over night

Please tell me how big the spoons are meant to be. How much water in jug where you add the second ? egg.

And how runny should mix be once beaten.

Many thanks and absolutely no rush for an answer if you are busy.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks, Dave P. It is actually Madeleine but here in England they have christened me Mad Maddie :lol: ( who wants to be boring..hey )

I'll give it another go and beat the hell out of that batter !!

Maddie

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
The world is bankcrupt. The world awaits the Pandemic to kill them. We have a corrupt government. Thank God for Russells Yorkshire Pudding. 8)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.