Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out in the van for a couple of hours today on trips to garages. Got home and it struck me that I hadn't waved, nor looked out for fellow motorhomers. Sacrilege!

I concluded that motorhoming is nothing to do with motorhomes, but is a state of mind.

Now, when we're escaping for a snatched weekend, or even a pleasurable day out, waving is great, though still Alison thinks I'm a bit bonkers. As I overtake I wave too, though best not to peer back to see if it's reciprocated.

Dave

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
I have a bit of a phobia or something about waving. I feel quite rejected if no one waves back and quite upset if I miss someone who has waved. I have been known to change from a friendly wave to a two finger salute if I am ignored which I know demeans the whole purpose in doing it. I have also noticed that those in super dooper m\homes have almost a Royal wave whilst those in wheely bins almost burst a blood vessel in their efforts to wave, grin and jump up and down with excitement.

I think I have just got to get a grip. 8O

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
How dare you call my wheelie bin a wheely bin, I'll have you know my wheelie bin has graphics..........

I don't wave.......I've never noticed any other motorhomers waving at me......so I never seem to have the opportunity to wave back...am I missing something?

Maybe It's because I drive a van conversion that looks surprisingly like a .........well.........a van, when approaching from the front (despite the graphics)

And any way shouldn't we be concentrating on our driving skills rather than on acknowledging other motorhomers.

oooops.......have I incurred your wrath?

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
8O This is a very annoying subject to me. All the time I have been motorhoming I have waved to all and sunder. When I had a little Camper (Autohomes Frontier) I waved and hardly anyone waved back. Maybe they must have thought I was too inferior to wave to? :x Then when I went to a larger American RV, I carried on waving to all and sunder. Still hardly anyone waved back. Maybe they felt inferior? 8O I just don't know what to do? Whether to wave or stick my fingers up in a Victory salute. :roll: Quite often in Europe, people who are going to wave usually flash before they wave. Any ideas anyone? :?:

·
Premium Member
13,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shouldn't we be concentrating on our driving skills rather than on acknowledging other motorhomer
The trouble with that is then logic takes you to turning off the radio and slapping Gaffer tape over the co-pilot's mouth.

Ah. Now hang on, yes, I see what you mean .....

Dave

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
We found ourselves waving to vans while going up the M40 in our car the other day. Somewhere there are Hymer, Pilote and other drivers worrying about what was wrong with their van that we were trying to warn them about. :?

Seriously though there must have been dozens of vans in a relatively short drive and if we had been driving our van and waved-after noticing them on the other carriageway-there could have been safety problems.

I think we will have a:

only co-pilot van spots and waves
never on motorways
possibly on dual carriagways if good visibility
never when over-taking ( actually, we don't so that's off anyway)

rule in our van so apologies to those who might feel ignored.

G

·
Registered
845 Posts
we find this quite amusing and always bet each other as to whether the aproaching mh is waver or non waver. happy to say waver usually wins. :lol:

ps :were wavers . :wink:

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have just come back from a 1,000 mile drive round southern England via Wales (where I got off the ferry).
Very interesting. I wave to all vans unless I am doing something like overtaking at the time, and in Wales I would say that all but one or two waved back. Other Hymers generally flashed as well. But once in England, I think only one or two bothered, the rest - I noticed a good few dozen - ignored me. Is this because drivers in Wales are more friendly?????

overthehill

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
8O No overthehill. I think it's because the English feel either Inferior or Superior and therefore don't bother to wave. I'm English and wave to everyone from the smallest to the largest. From the cleanest to the filthiest. I shall continue to wave ragardless. :x

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
We've just come back from the Newbury show. The A34 was full of vans both going and coming back and apart from one every single one waved.

Anyone coming down the A34 towards Newbury at about 5pm will get severe RSI if this is the norm today !

G.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi guys

Having been a biker all my days, and now motorhoming, There has always great response from other bikers to bikers they wave , nod and flash
I have adopted that line of thought to Motorhomers, i wave and flash as they dont always see me nodding frantically
As long as i have done my courtious bit towards others then i feel good, if i dont get a wave or flash back then i guess they were busy concentrating and did not see me
So just because someone did not wave back at you, dont continue the trend otherwise the waving and flashing will disappear into oblivion

Paul
wave regardless..............it will pay dividends

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lets scotch this north/South friendliness myth immediately. I've never been north of Reading (yet) in my motorhome and I'd say nearly everyone waves back (though when I had a van conversion I noticed that coachbuilts etc never waved back).
Perhaps it's just that folk feel 'obliged' to reply when their Pharoah waves at them? :wink:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wavers & flashers

Using the M6 south today, coming back from the Lakedistrict I would say about 70 percent of motorhomes either waved or flashed. I did notice the when the Royal "we" as in her in the next seat waved, we got a more vigorous wave back. I'm not sure whether the reason for that is because she is a women or I'm just a sour faced old git.

Ian

·
Registered
40 Posts
We used to have a very obvious 8O coachbuilt - you know the type, wide body and luton with windows.
We used to wave and get waved at all the time.
Now we have a van conversion 8) (Adria Twin - Fiat Ducato LWB) we started off waving but got NO response :cry: .
Now we don't bother.
Even today around Newbury we had no waves at all :oops: - even though we waved once or twice.
Roger

·
Registered
164 Posts
When I had my fully customised mini, other mini drivers would wave, flash the lights etc, when we went down to Cornwall the other week, my arm was really getting tired. Even as motorhomes come towards you on the other side of the motorway they wave or flash their lights at you. My mrs loves it and leans forward to the windscreen to wave back at them, then sits back in her seat with a big smile on her face.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Eirwen waves,.... mostly at freezer-vans as she always mistakes them for campervans !... I flash now, , she waves, the only ones who don't respond tend to be the larger A-class vans,... we are after all only a humble van-conversion.... I don't actually recollect receiving a response from a Hymer yet ! ! ! :D

·
Registered
631 Posts
We are flashers :oops: and wavers too and i can relate to the being out in your car and wanting to wave. The wife wants to start waving at people with the same car - "as long as she doesn't start flashing" :eek:

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
One of the problems with van conversions is if there are no obvious graphics on the front you feel a twit waving at "white van man" or as Alan says, freezer vans. My neighbour waved at ambulances ! cos he said he could see graphics over the cab

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.