Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I do not know what I have done :oops:

I had a zone alarm update but installed the free 15 day trial rather than the Free zone alarm firewall update.

So I uninstalled zone alarm as I couldn't seem to get rid of the free trial bit.

As I still had the set up file on the PC I clicked on it but then it wouldn't install as it came up with an error saying it couldn't find some patch or other.

I also had an earlier version of zone alarm so installed that. That seemed to install but then I couldn't connect to the internet kept saying some error or other ?dns

So I uninstalled that as well. System restore couldn't restore to an earlier point. So I activated the Windows Firewall. I can now connect to the internet. (this is via my Samsung NC 10).

Obviously I messed things up by uninstalling zone alarm.

Having uninstalled ZA and using windows firewall and now connected to the internet I thought I would go to the zone alarm web site and download it again. This I did but again when it came to installing, it again came up with the error message that a patch or something was missing.

So HELP PLEASE, what can I do now or will I have to stick with the Windows Firewall?

·
Rest In Peace Mike, 1944-2017.
14,576 Posts
Hi Rita

I can't help, I have never used Zonealarm.....but I can bump your post....

and reassure you that the Windows firewall is quite good now.

mike

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
My friend who manages a big company network says not to bother with anything other than the Windows Firewall.

He reckons it is perfectly adequate for home use, and uses it himself.

Good enough for me! :D

Dave

·
Premium Member
31,739 Posts
Zone Alarm is a pain in the A..e. Best thing to do is to install a broadband router (I am assuming this is a home connection, not mobile) with an inbuilt hardware firewall. You may find you have one already. Zyxel or Draytek do them for around £100. That way any computers on the network are protected at the source. Windows Firewall is fine otherwise. Most importantly make sure your have good anti virus protection. Avast Pro is good or Avast Personal for free if you dont want to pay

·
Registered
257 Posts
Zonealarm Pian

I've had a similar problem with Zonealarm,
I still can't get rid of it but I've stopped it trying to start via msconfig.
So I think I've managed to stop it mucking things up for the time being but I'm still unable to remove it completely as "TrueVector" (??) is still being used by something else,

I'm just going to rely on the windows firewall and the router for the time being

alan

·
Registered
328 Posts
zulurita said:
Help, I do not know what I have done :oops:

I had a zone alarm update but installed the free 15 day trial rather than the Free zone alarm firewall update.

So I uninstalled zone alarm as I couldn't seem to get rid of the free trial bit.

As I still had the set up file on the PC I clicked on it but then it wouldn't install as it came up with an error saying it couldn't find some patch or other.

I also had an earlier version of zone alarm so installed that. That seemed to install but then I couldn't connect to the internet kept saying some error or other ?dns

So I uninstalled that as well. System restore couldn't restore to an earlier point. So I activated the Windows Firewall. I can now connect to the internet. (this is via my Samsung NC 10).

Obviously I messed things up by uninstalling zone alarm.

Having uninstalled ZA and using windows firewall and now connected to the internet I thought I would go to the zone alarm web site and download it again. This I did but again when it came to installing, it again came up with the error message that a patch or something was missing.

So HELP PLEASE, what can I do now or will I have to stick with the Windows Firewall?
Hi

I seem to remember having issues when I tried installing an upgrade to Zone Alarms some years ago. I don't use it now. There was a problem with the install/uninstall. You need to do a google search for "uninstall Zone Alarms". There is a step by step set of instructions somewhere that guides you through the uninstall. It entails removing files and registry edits.

Hope that helps.

Keith

·
Registered
668 Posts
I read that the problem with the Windows XP Firewall is that it monitors incoming internet traffic but not outgoing, so you could have a trojan reporting back to base without any alarm being raised. Vista's inbuilt firewall does monitor outgoing traffic I believe. Please correct me if you are sure I'm wrong because I wouldn't mind getting rid of ZoneAlarm on my XP Samsung.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to ALL who have replied, sorry for the delay as I had to go into hospital for an operation so only came out yesterday.

So far no problems with Zone Alarm on other two laptops. It was my fault for accidentally installing their free 15 day trial instead of the update. Uninstalling zone alarm after that caused the problem.

I will stick with the Windows Firewall on the Samsung Notebook as that seems to be good enough for home use. Will it also be ok when using it abroad on WiFi or when using the 3 USB modem?

I have anti virus so ok in that respect.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've used Zone Alarm in the past then got rid of it because of problems.
Then changed to AVG Free. It was very good.
Then at the weekend a friend told me of AVAST HOME.

Even better than AVG, so uninstalled AVG and put in AVAST.

Did a scan on my machine when I had installed and it found a virus which had been missed two days earlier by AVG.
Not sure if it had been on the machine when AVG did the scan, but now feel more confident with AVAST.

Seems to work very well and now I have it on laptop as well as PCs.

Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fangio said:
I've used Zone Alarm in the past then got rid of it because of problems.
Then changed to AVG Free. It was very good.
Then at the weekend a friend told me of AVAST HOME.

Even better than AVG, so uninstalled AVG and put in AVAST.

Did a scan on my machine when I had installed and it found a virus which had been missed two days earlier by AVG.
Not sure if it had been on the machine when AVG did the scan, but now feel more confident with AVAST.

Seems to work very well and now I have it on laptop as well as PCs.

Thanks for info.

Though you are talking about ANTI VIRUS which I do have, but it was the Zone Alarm FIREWALL that I had issues with. However your observations re AVAST are helpful thanks.

Hope this is of some help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.